JIRA hammers our external web-proxy with Google analytics

Martin Bayreuther January 10, 2012

It looks like JIRA contacts Google Analytics to download ga.js. The file is loaded with every new page click in Jira.

I have temporarily enabled FireBug and have attached the analysis screen shots.

We have to turn this GA-Link off.

The Google-Analytics ID Is UA-20272869-4

13 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Theodore Tzidamis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

Hey Martin, if you check in GreenHopper Configuration > GreenHopper Labs you should see a checkbox about Google Analytics. Is that checked?

2 votes
James Hatherly March 14, 2012

GreenHopper uses Google Analytics, however an administrator has to opt-in to enable it.

The tickbox to disable it can be found at the bottom of the GreenHopper General Configuration admin page.

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 12, 2014

You can also add this little snippet into the <head>:

// Disable any trackers that Atlassian may add
    for (i=1; i &lt;= 60; i++) {  // It's 8 for Bonfire, but let's use a hammer to kill any new ones too.
        window['ga-disable-UA-20272869-'+i] = true;
    }

This will disable Google Analytics tracking for property code UA-20272869-1 through UA-20272869-60. If any fresh Google Analytics code is added for new plugins or products, this should capture and disable most of them.

For more details: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/#disable

0 votes
Martin Bayreuther November 6, 2012

Hello Theodore,

yes it was checked. If I remember correctly the install portion did ask me about that.

So all is fine now.

Thanks a lot

Martin

0 votes
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2012

The Bonfire plugin for JIRA uses Google Analytics.

You can locate the calls in one of the batch.js files:

It seems that

jQuery("#bonfire-build-info").find('[data-bonfire-var="bonfire-gaTrackingCode"]').data("bonfire-value")

...evaluates as "UA-20272869-8"

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2012

Last I remember doing this it was the header.jsp file that we hacked at to get this to work in 4.x.

Announcement Banner is another good usual suspect as everyone else has said.

Here's the path to the file for header.jsp you can check also. This link has the others:

• <tt>stylesheettag.jsp</tt> (JIRA 3.13)
  • <tt><atlassian-jira>/includes/decorators/header.jsp</tt> (JIRA 4.x)
  • <tt><atlassian-jira>/atlassian-jira/includes/decorators/aui-layout/header.jsp</tt> (JIRA 5.x)

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Adding+JavaScript+to+all+pages+for+Google+Analytics

0 votes
Marketplace Partner
March 14, 2012

Can you see the Google Analytics JavaScript when you view page source?

Has someone sneaked it into the Announcement header section?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2012

Did you find the culprit?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2012

Apart from Bonfire, greenhopper will do it, possibly by default if you enable labs mode. You can turn it off though. If you paste up your full plugin list I'm sure someone will know which is the culprit.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2012

It requires a js resource on every page but there is no call to GA. Bonfire uses GA by default, which annoys me. I think you should have to opt-in not opt-out to tracking.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2012

Ugh. Someone has done it, it's certainly not in the core distribution, you have to work at it. Some ideas to check:

1. Last time I was messing with GA, it was possible to get a simple set going by adding a call into Admin -> Announcement banner. Look there first, as it's a quick one to rule out. The banner appears on every page, including login.
  2. I'm not aware of any plugin that would do it, but I would definitely go through your list of plugins and check if there's anything that might be doing it.
  3. You've checked the .jsp files I'd have looked for hacks with your grep. But you may have to go deeper into the compiled .jar files.
  4. In more recent versions of Jira, there's a list of "modified files" in Admin -> System information - those may be worth scanning in more detail, as it might not be just "google" you're looking for.
  5. It's possible to embed it your front-end server, I'm told. For example, if you're running behind Apache, it might be that making the calls, and not Jira. Or possibly the Tomcat running the Jira. On this one, I'm really guessing, but it might be worth a check if the others don't find it.
0 votes
Martin Bayreuther January 11, 2012

At the moment my top suspicious candidate is the behaviours plug-in. Does someone know whether or not this plug-in enters code directly after the link to "favicon"?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2012

Er, yes, I understand the need to turn it off, but it's your system, so you need to remove the analytics. We don't know how you've installed them, and we don't have access to google to turn off your system at that side.

There are no analysis screenshots attached.

Could you tell us what the question here for the Atlassian users really is?

Martin Bayreuther January 11, 2012

Thats the point. I didn't add it anywhere. I even did a "grep -r google" across both the data tree and the install tree with no results.

Could plug-ins cause this?

It even shows up on the Login-page.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2012

Yes, it will be a plugin. Like I say, Bonfire does this, but if you don't use Bonfire it could be any other. It's none of mine though, I promise!

Suggest an answer