JIRA filter to only show project names?

Haani_Niyaz August 11, 2014

It appears that the filters I create shows all issues related to the project. Is there any way to only get the project names? (so I drill down if I need to)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2014

Hi Haani,

By default a filter is meant to search for an issue.

What you are asking might be easier to do via the REST APIs.

Have you considered that?

The REST end point is:

<your_jira_url>/rest/api/2/project

More info can be found here: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#d2e2046

0 votes
Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2014

Actually, I just saw that in the system default dashboard, there is a gadget that lists all the projects in your JIRA server already. So if you are going to use a gadget, that might be a quicker way. Hope this helps.

Kundan Mukherjee February 19, 2020

The gadget name is “Projects” and it works with Category. It will show up the projects only once they are mapped to the category.

Like FRGR60 likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2014

A filter has nothing to do with the data displayed, it returns a list of issues.

If you want to get data from a filter, you need to put the filter through a report of some sort, such as the issue navigator.

By dfinition, the issue navigator shows you issues. If you want project data in it, include the field "project" and you'll see what each issue belongs to.

If you want just project names, then you need a report that will read the list of issues and extract that.

I'd suggest a simple one - create a dashboard for yourself, and add a "filter statistics" gadget. Select your filter as the data source, and then select "project" as the field to group the results by. You'll get one line per project in your filter, with a count of matching issues next to it.

Suggest an answer