JIRA failed to update add-ons

Mike August 20, 2014

I ran into this problem after an interruption during add-on update from the administration panel.

When I re-entered add-on manage page, all of the "update" button on the right side of all add-ons disappered. When I click a random add-on to expand the detail box and click "update" button from their, an error message poped up says

"An error was encountered while updating this add-on."

Every add-ons on my JIRA got the same error messages including FOLIO and JIRA Agile.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2014

Ouch, sounds like you might have a damaged plugin cache.

First, read the log file from when you tried the updates, and from when you're clicking the expand box - does that tell you anything?

Second, try restarting Jira. Again, you'll want to read the logs from startup to see if there are particular errors in there, but a restart might clear out what is damaged from the caches too.

Third, have you tried removing and re-installing the plugins? Try with a small one that doesn't have a lot of data first (most plugins will not touch their data when you remove them, but it's worth checking if it fixes a small one before tackling Folio or Agile as they might be a bit more sensitive. Also, they'll take longer!)

Finally, you can stop Jira and clear the plugin cache:

Under the Jira installation, look for the "work" directory. Delete the contents. NOT THE DIRECTORY - you will get startup errors if you delete the directory, just empty it.

Under the Jira HOME directory, delete the directories .osgi-plugins and .bundled-plugins. (I usually just move them somewhere else). They'll be recreated and rebuilt when you restart Jira

Mike August 20, 2014

Excellent! It actually worked after clear the plugin cache by your instruction on the FINALLY step.

I was dig into the log file but nothing special can be noted from there. Also removeing and re-installing did not helpful as well.

Fortunately the cache clear method worked!

Thanks.

Oleksandr Presich January 22, 2015

Hmm..that doesn't help in my situation. I get this error for each plugin: An error was encountered while updating this add-on. And I've just upgraded JIRA from 5.2.8 to 6.3.14. Could anyone advise where I can see logs of UPM? Any stacktrace of why updating fails? Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2015

In the application log file.

SamNg-3DP July 11, 2016

Thanks @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], your steps helped my situation. Thanks again.

Suggest an answer