JIRA external and internal access - how to setup?

Systemmanagement July 12, 2016

We're hosting JIRA.

We opend JIRA for external use, so the application are accessable via Internet. The BASE-URL is set to the external address - jira.bla.com

The Problem is because of the BASE-URL the access via local network route through the internet.

We want that internal employess dont leave the lcoal Network when accessing jira.

Short: External access via Internet and internal access via local network without the detour through internet.

Can you help us?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2016

You don't really. 

Your best bet is to talk to your network people.  They should be able to tell you if there are any tricks they can support - I've seen two dirty ones which work, but I don't know if they're recommended.

One was to use the outgoing proxy server to gateway the connection, so if someone tried to land on the external JIRA url and the connection was from inside the network, it would proxy them directly to the JIRA server instead of going out over the internet.

A dirtier one for a very simple network was to poison the internal DNS so that when a computer looked for the JIRA server on a url, it resolved it to the internal ip address directly instead of going out to the internet (this can mess with machines that get used internally and externally though, my laptop really doesn't like it...)

Suggest an answer