JIRA export 50000 Issues to Excel

Deleted user June 24, 2012

Hello,

our customer demands all Issues from their Project in an Excel or CSV file. We know this is a bad idea but in our position we have no choice. We have tried setting up the jira.search.views.default.max = 50000 in the /atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties but when we change the tempMax value in the URL the 403 Error is shown:

HTTP Status 403 - You are not allowed to get a result set of more than 1000 results. Current search returns 50000 results

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2012

If you are using jira 4.4.x, should create a file in jira-home and add entries there too.

I can view maximum 5000 Issues and I edited as follows.

jira-home/jira-config.properties

Add :
jira.search.views.max.limit = 5000
jira.search.views.default.max = 5000

Don't forget to restart JIRA

Thanks, Vishnu.

Thanks Vishnu, "jira.search.views.max.limit = 50000" was missing in our jira-config.propreties.

Like Akshaykumar Patel likes this
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2012

Great that worked.

aasha kathamuthu August 20, 2018

prabhat February 28, 2020

anyone knows if its working on v7.11 ?

1 vote

There is one more file that you have to change the is not documented. The file is :/WEB-INF/classes/jpm.xml. You will find jira.search.views.default.max set in this file as well.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2012

The good news : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Export+More+Than+1000+Results+to+Excel

The bad news is that even if you change that, unless you're running Jira on some really powerful hardware, it's still unlikely to work. The excel export is resource intensive and I doubt it will cope with 50,000

There's no harm in trying (although I'd wait until a quiet time, outside working hours, so you don't cripple Jira while others are using it), but I think I'd be asking your customer to come up with a more sane request and think about doing it some other way.

We did all from that tutorial but the settings didn't work. Only the default URL settings changed to 50000 when I select Excel (All Fields) but we got the same Error Page (403).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2012

I suspect you missed some of the settings, as the changes on that page works fine for the systems I've tested it on. (You did restart as well?)

0 votes
Edwin Dyer September 13, 2019

I should add that we encountered this problem in JIRA v7.13.5 and Vishnu and Vincent's fix worked to solve it.

0 votes
David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2019

I am sharing the solution I have implemented in VBA for overcoming this problem:

How to Overcome JIRA Record limit for Exporting into Excel File implementing a Pagination Strategy with VBA.

at the end of the post, you can download an excel file that includes the VBA source code.

I hope it would help,

David

0 votes
Arun Singh August 9, 2018

How can the same be done for jira CLOUD?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2018

No.  You can't change the properties file, as you have no access to the server.  Atlassian will not change it for you either - there's a good reason for the limit and they will not be enabling you to crash your system.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events