JIRA error

Neeta Dubey August 28, 2013

I am jira admin and gets the below error log which sometime prevents users from login? Could anyone please let me know why is this happening?

2 answers

0 votes
OneThousand August 29, 2013

Is there a firewall or security device in between the client and the User Directory - CROWD or AD / LDAP.

Can you confirm if the users seeing these errors are actually using remote access like VPN - or SSL/VPN connections ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2013

Ah, that's Jira telling you that your network has closed a connection it was trying to use. Happens on slow, overloaded or badly configured networks sometimes (I've provoked it at home when I allocated two machines the same IP address for example). I'm not a network expert so I can't really tell you a lot more than it's likely to be network packets timing out.

I'm afraid the first thing to look at is your network, it's most likely to be a problem with the connection between the client (user's computer) and the Jira server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2013

The error you are getting is Jira saying "either your machine or I sent a packet to somewhere else, and I got no response within a reasonable time".

This is almost always a network error, although you can cause it with bad coding, or doing unusual things on the client. The fact that it's happening for you and not every other Jira installation implies that if it is bad code, it's client side, rather than Jira.

For an average user though, who is unlikely to be running odd network scanning/interception software, the only possibilties are dubious browsers and/or browser extensions, or a network problem.

Invalid credentials, with that error in the log makes sense and matches the "networking issue" diagnosis. The user is putting the right things in, their browser is sending it across, the network is losing part of the message and Jira times out and rejects the login because as far as it is concerned, they have not logged in.

Neeta Dubey August 28, 2013

Hi Nic,

I checked with our network team and they said its not there issue.If its the network related the JIRA login page will not appear at all however in my case it was appearing and although users were entering correct credentials it was giving message that invalid username and password.

any other suggestion?

Suggest an answer