JIRA email user solution

Louie Penaflor September 10, 2012

Hi, I'm looking to configure jira very similar on how atlassian has their support system setup in regards to email. When you reply to a support email, it says the persons name but the email address is the support system. Currently I have to cc an email address I setup with jira and put the ticket number in the subject. The problem I'm having is that my customers don't always hit "reply-all" and their correspondance does not get logged. Anyone know how to set this up? Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2012

Hello,

I believe that your JIRA has some misconfigurations on this regard:

1) Mail macros

If your mail message has no issue ID, maybe your mail template has been customized to doesn't display the issue key on the subject; What mail subject is being delivered to your users? Would you give us some example? :)

2) Project e-mail address

What is the current mail address of the messages that are being delivered to your users? It should be set accordingly the project's e-mail address:

Notifications

JIRA can notify the appropriate people when a particular event occurs in your project (e.g. "Issue Created", "Issue Resolved"). You can choose specific people, or groups, or roles to receive email notifications when different events occur. (Note that roles are often the easiest to manage.)

• Notification Scheme — the project's notification scheme determines who receives email notifications of changes to issues in this project.
  • Email — specifies the 'From' address for emails sent from this project. Only available if an SMTP email server has been configured in JIRA.

3) Mail Handler Configuration

If the mail subject has a valid issue key, JIRA should add it as a comment. If a user just replies an email message from JIRA, is it creating a new issue? Deppending of the current behavior, you may need to check the JIRA Mail Handler as well. You may only need to create a valid POP/IMAP mail server with the same mail address used in your project, and then, add a "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" on it.

I hope it helps!

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Louie Penaflor September 14, 2012

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your reply! We have a notification scheme created using "Default Notification Scheme with Create Ticket Email" and it creates emails fine. Do we have to have auto account generation created upon email? IE for our users that email the project email address? Also is the project e-mail address in the link you sent me the project lead? I look forward to your reply!

Suggest an answer