JIRA dynamic field creations - how to achive it? Best practices?

Jijo John [DevOps Consultant] July 10, 2012

Dear all,

Right now I have a requirement to track different customers and when they require the deliverable. Please provide me an idea how this can be achieved.

eg:

Issue Type: Requirement

Summary: Support XYZ functionality for Customers.

*Customer Name* : Customer1 *Target delivery date* : <date>

*Customer Name* : Customer2 *Target delivery date* : <date>

*Customer Name* : Customer3 *Target delivery date* : <date>

I should be able to filter issues with this field for all customers.

Your help is most appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards,

- Jijo

2 answers

0 votes
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2012

Have a look at Table Grid Editor.

Anyway, I would prsonally prefer subtasks as Nic above, because those deliveries could have stages and various assignees.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2012

Looks like one issue per customer to me (I'd probably use subtasks for it)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2012

It depends on your process, what you want to track and how you want to report on it. I've given you one idea, but I don't have a detailed understanding of your requirements. Use your imagination, and experiment with a dev/test Jira to see how best to use it.

Nic,

Thanks for your comment, here it is targetting same feature(requirement) deliverd to customer in different dates.

Is there any way achive it or anyother workaround you can suggest?

Jijo

I don't think i have an idea how to impliment this, thats the reason I'm asking help here..

Basically I want same cascade field (*Customer Name* : Customer3 -> *Target delivery date* : <date>) multiple enty on same edit screen, once I fill first only then next one will appear. [Similar to Attachment field]

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2012

Ok, that's what I mean by "imagination" - that's another way to do it.

But you'll need a lot of code to do that, as there's no fields that do it already. I'm not even sure there are any fields available in the plugin library that even begin to do that. It's mostly the variable-length data that's not done - you need to catch and store a whole series of value-pairs (customer:date) in the variable length list

The reason I suggested sub-tasks is that you can get those pretty close without any coding. If you define the sub-tasks to simply require "summary" (customer) and "due date", then you've got your list of value pairs, with the variable length.

Suggest an answer