JIRA does not have "Story Points" fields

christopher_griggs December 27, 2017

Let me make this clear, I am not looking to put "Story Points" on a form, or how include it as part of a custom field configuration. I want to do so, but the option "Story Points" is not an available field. When I look at the list of available fields to create / update a field  configuration - there is no "Story Points" field. 

The fields available include: Acceptance Criteria, Actual Completion Date, Additional Comments, Approvals, Assignee, ... etc. There is no "Story Points" field option. 

Note, I am looking at a field configuration, there is a list of options, and the "Story Points" field does not exist. The field is not an available option. I am not trying to figure out how to add the field to a form, the field does not exist. I don't know why...

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2017

At a guess, you haven't added a Story Points field.

It's up to the admins to create new fields, although some add-ons and applications also do it.  If, for example, Jira Software cannot find a Story Points field (of the right type) when it is first installed, it will add one for you.  It'll add a handful of Epic related fields too.

Go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom Fields and add Story Points as a numeric field (or install Software)

right, but then it is a custom field, and you do not get all of the agile reports off of it the right way

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2017

You need Software installed to get the Agile reports, that will add it if it's not there.

do you know what software?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2017

Ah, I see, you haven't worked out the "applications" thing in Jira.  Jira has several variants. 

Jira Core is the application that provides, well, the core functions - users, workflows, projects, issues, fields and all the integration points.

You can then add Jira Software to Core, or Jira Service Desk, or both.  (Downloads of installers for preconfigured Jira Software and Jira Service Desk on top of Core are available, but there isn't one for the full set of three applications)

To get Jira Software, go into Jira admin ->  Applications and install it from there.

Suggest an answer