JIRA default comment visibility via ScriptRunner Behaviors

Joshua DeClerck March 24, 2017

For a long time now, I've used the following behaviors initializer script to enforce a default comment visibility level of an 'Internal' project role (with role ID 11400) on new comments by internal employees:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.onresolve.jira.groovy.user.FormField

def userInternal = ComponentAccessor.jiraAuthenticationContext.getLoggedInUser()
def groupsInternal = ComponentAccessor.userUtil.getGroupNamesForUser(userInternal.name)

FormField commentSec = getFieldById("commentLevel")

if (groupsInternal.contains("Internal Users")) 
    commentSec.setFormValue("role:11400")

It's worked pretty well through several JIRA updates, with a few quirks, but was good enough to satisfy security concerns around discussions on issues.

Something must've changed in the JIRA 7.3.x family of updates, but this script now fails to work when loading the comment box at the bottom of the issue detail page. Comments left on modals (edit issue, transition issue, etc) still process the behavior correctly, but for whatever reason, the most comment place comments are left have stopped running the script.

Is there a change I need to make to the behavior to support something different about this particular instance of the comment editor, or am I out of luck? A solution that requires editing JIRA source code isn't an option, so it's either making ScriptRunner work again, or considering the third-party add-on that manages comment security defaults instead.

Thanks all.

4 answers

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2017

Please could you create an issue at https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/2 - then we'll make sure we trace this through to completion, as Answers only has a couple of days left.

0 votes
Joshua DeClerck March 29, 2017

@Thanos Batagiannis [Adaptavist] - Sure, I'm running SR 4.3.19 with both JIRA core and JIRA Software on 7.3.2.

Can definitely confirm that this is only happening on the comment box directly on the bottom of a regular issue details page (/browse/ABC-1234).

Jon Schewe August 21, 2018

@Joshua DeClerckDid you get an answer on this? I'd like to do the same thing and mine isn't working and isn't giving me an error either.

Joshua DeClerck August 21, 2018

@Jon Schewe - It eventually became a ticket in their support system and has been marked fixed as of v5.3 of ScriptRunner. You may be able to review the ticket history here:

https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/SRJIRA-2205

I haven't confirmed the fix, though, since I don't use that script anymore. The importance of having something that worked pushed us to buy a commercial add-on that, to be honest, does a more thorough job anyway ('Comment Security Default').

Hate to be yet another buy-more-addons (oh crap, sorry, they're apps now) comment, but it's Jira after all.

0 votes
Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2017

Hi Joshua, 

May I ask which version of the ScriptRunner you use ?

regards, Thanos

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2017

If it doesn't work in 7.3 it's a bug, which means possibly we're missing a functional test.

I'll ask someone to take a look and get back to you. We may need you to create an issue at https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/2 so we can trace it through the system properly.

We'll get back to you.

Suggest an answer