JIRA custom workflow - little help/few pointers needed

Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

It seems like I used to know how to do what I am trying to do in an earlier version of JIRA, but I am finding myself lost in 6.1.1. I am trying to create a custom workflow/custom fields to fit a fairly simple scenario: Party A creates an issue, Party B evaluates the issue and estimates time to complete (choosing one of two transitions based on < or > 40 hours time), Party C assigns a numeric priority to the issue and then Party B goes to work on the issue. I have created a custom priority field, added new statuses, made a bunch of screens, created transitions. I am not getting how I can have the priority field be editable only by Party C, but read only for Party B. I also want to check that particular fields are completed prior to allowing transitions. Also, my custom screens are assigned to transitions, but they never show because the transition is instant. How do I make a screen appear as part of the transition and then require a field to be completed as part of the transition?

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Erik Saline [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Check out the Advanced Worklow Wiki, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Advanced+workflow+configuration. It has conditions, validator and post functions to help with verifying fields have the correct data and so on.

For permissions to view or edit a field check out the Roles section, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Roles.

For transistions you need to Edit the Trasition step in the workflow.

0 votes
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2013

Thanks Rahul and Erik.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2013

1. You want to make priority field editable only by a certain people:

To do this create two project roles role A and role B.

Remove priority from create and edit issue screens

Now add a transition - Update priority on each status leading to the same status i.e. Open ---> Open, In progress-> In progress. Have it for all the statuses in your workflow.

IN these transitions associate a transition screen which has priority field in it.

Add conditions that only membrs of project role B can execute this transition. With this no one else can perform this operation except project role B

This will be the simplest way to achieve what you want.

2. I also want to check that particular fields are completed prior to allowing transitions

Can you not mandatorise those fields? Or if you only want certain fields to be mandatory on certain screens then look for workflow validators. This link below explains how it can be done.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/125775/how-can-i-make-fields-required-on-a-transition-screen-but-not-required-on-the-edit-screen

3. custom screens are assigned to transitions, but they never show because the transition is instant.

If you have correctly applied your transition screen to your workflow then they will appear when you transition your issues through the workfflow transition. If they do not show up, then you need to check if the screens have been applied properly.

4. How do I make a screen appear as part of the transition and then require a field to be completed as part of the transition?

See 2 above , you can do it with workflow validators

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

Suggest an answer