JIRA custom field update & search not working properly

gil October 28, 2017

Within a JIRA listener plugin, from JIRA project A, after an issue update based of a trigger, I update an issue in JIRA project B.  Code as follows:

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();

CustomField customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(10010);

IssueManager issueManager = ComponentManager.getInstance().getIssueManager();

MutableIssue currentMutableIssue = issueManager.getIssueObject(issue.getId());

currentMutableIssue.setCustomFieldValue(customField, valueToSave);

issueManager.updateIssue(currentMutableIssue.getReporterUser(), currentMutableIssue, EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED, false);            

currentMutableIssue.store();

The value in the custom field of the issue in Project B is set correctly every time; however:

• When the custom field is set to null (in ‘valueToSave’), then the field value is displayed on edit/view screen, and I can search it via JQL, etc.  I also notice the index is auto trigger too after update.
  • When the value is set to a non-null value, i.e. a number, the value is not displayed on the JIRA screen, and search not correct, until I manually update that issue in Project B!  Of course, I don’t see any auto index!

What am I missing here?  Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
Mahmoud Ahmed Abdel-Mola March 7, 2018

Hi

I had the same problem like you. At the end I decided to reindex the issue manually when I change a customfield value. just add the following Codelines

final IssueIndexingService issueIndexingService =
(IssueIndexingService) ComponentAccessor.getComponent(IssueIndexingService.class);
issueIndexingService.reIndex(issue);

This should work just fine

0 votes
Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2017

Try to update the issue using issueService instead of issueManager.

gil October 30, 2017

Actually it looks like there are some issue with the code logic causing this problem.  Everything seems to work now.  Thanks for the suggestion.

gil November 2, 2017

Actually it's not working again - look like one day it works, one day doesn't.  I have tried different approaches, but none work...   In fact I found similar issue on this site and I post my problem there - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Update-an-issue-field-in-a-listener-changes-are-not-made/qaq-p/566449

0 votes
Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2017

Hi!

Describe please the type of your custom field. What is Search Template set for this custom field?

gil October 28, 2017

Hi Aleksandr - This is a number field that comes with JIRA.  Search Template is Number Searcher.

Suggest an answer