JIRA custom field default value not "sticking"

Cheryl Childs [Dreamsmiths] March 30, 2015

Hi

We're using JIRA Cloud. I've set a custom field which needs to have one of its options as the default value.

I've set it up according to the options provided, but the default value isn't displaying on the Edit screen of the issues. I've created screens which appear as tabs on the main Edit screen, and this field falls within one of those.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

image2015-3-30 12:51:57.png

image2015-3-30 12:53:0.png

Thanks,

Cheryl

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2015

You only get a default value when creating an issue.  If you edit an issue, then the data that the field was set to on create is selected (even if it was deliberately left empty).  

This is correct behaviour because humans won't look at the fields they are not interested in when editing.  Take the example where I create an issue with "colour" set to "red" (and the default was "blue").  I've set that colour deliberately when creating the issue.  Later, I come back and alter the due date on the edit screen.  I've got no interest in the colour during that change, so for JIRA to set it to blue, just because I've editied the issue breaks the data.  Humans won't check that defaults are not breaking their data.

Suggest an answer