JIRA creating an issue from email

Mike Troj December 16, 2013

hello,

we have jira configured to accept email with an attachment and create an issue with that attachment. this works fine when the email sent from outlook, an issue is created and the file is attached to it.

we have a webform worksheet that sends an email with an attachment to jira, and jira creates an issue but without attachment.

for testing i have a CC address on the webform email and CC comes with an attachment, so somehow jira is ignoring an attachment to the email that is send programmatically.

your help is greatly appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2013

Mike,

Are you referring to the Drupal webform module? I've hit this problem before and I don't think there's much you can do about it, aside from customizing the module itself. The reason for this is that the attachment is associated with the webform results -- it's never actually attached to an email. You would actually need to click on the link to view the result in Drupal, where you can access the attachment.

Again, patching that module to add the attachment to the email is really the only way to go here.

ChuckV December 17, 2013

Aseem, thank you for your reply,

No we are not using Drupal webforms, we have our own web application, that sends an email to JIRA.

We are working with support to resolve this issue, and once the solution is found I will post it here for reference.

Thanks again,

Mike

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2013

Likely the way the attachment has been added is either not findable by the default JIRA email handlder, or suffers from a syntactical issue preventing it from being used. such problem mails Im always interested in getting hold of for Testing purposes with JEMH. If you have a full example Id love to get an 'original email' (including headers) to validate JEMH already fixes the problem?

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2013

Not exactly sure what's going on there, but I would:

1. compare the mail headers of both emails sent from outlook and the ones sent via the webform
  2. I would look in the incoming mail logs in $JIRA_Home/log for any errors related to attachments or particular to the emails sent from the webform. You may need to enable debug logs for Incoming Mail if necessary via Administration menu > System > Troubleshooting and Support > Logging & Profiling.
ChuckV December 17, 2013

Taiwo, thank you for your reply, we have oppened a support ticket with Atlassian JSP-180094 and I've created and attached a support log zip file.

thanks again

Mike.

Suggest an answer