JIRA control port appears to be in use within Debian

Daniel Mizrahi November 11, 2012

I am trying to install JIRA 5.1.8 on a brand new debian 6.0.6 system. The problem I'm facing is that application keeps throwing the message

"The Control port you have chosen appears to be in use. Please choose a different port number."

and I can't pass beyond this step.

No matter which port I choose I get the same response. I have tried tried 4540, 8004, 8005, 8015, 8102, and 10600.

Exact response is below:

Configure which ports JIRA will use.
JIRA requires two TCP ports that are not being used by any other
applications on this machine. The HTTP port is where you will access JIRA
through your browser. The Control port is used to Startup and Shutdown JIRA.
Use default ports (HTTP: 8080, Control: 8005) - Recommended [1, Enter], Set custom value for HTTP and Control ports [2]
The Control port you have chosen appears to be in use. Please choose a different port number.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Mizrahi November 18, 2012

After many days fighting for this i have decided to reinstal OS to CentOS and everything worked like a charm!

3 votes
Divya Goel April 11, 2014

I also struggled with this problem. Later I changed shutdown port from "8005" to "8015" and the listening port from "8080" to "8100". It worked.

Maya Lekova December 30, 2014

I've configured it on port 8006 and it works fine.

Like Maryna Nesterenko likes this
neeraj verma December 30, 2014

@Divya Goel

Clear and Simple Solution , No need of Further Discussion..thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2014

In other words, you already had something running on those ports, so you followed the advice to move to other ports.

Idrissa KARABOUALI October 17, 2018

Thank you @Divya Goel

Maryna Nesterenko February 5, 2021

Thank you @Divya Goel ! Changing the ports worked for me! 

Also, how would I know what I already have running on ports 8005 and 8080?

0 votes
Kevin C. Krinke December 30, 2014

With a fresh Debian Wheezy install; the loopback device is missing from `ifconfig` for some reason. If you don't see `lo` in the output of `sudo ifconfig` then try `sudo ifconfig lo up` and then run the installer with `env _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" ./atlassian-jira-6.3.12-x64.bin`.

0 votes
Mark Donnelly April 5, 2013

This looks to be dual stack related. I was getting the same error on debian 6. Told java to be ipv4 only by exporting _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" before running installer. No problem after that.

0 votes
Daniel Mizrahi November 12, 2012

Thanks again Nic. Just tried it and still getting the same output.

Not sure what else should i try.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2012

Try the "netstat" command to see what is listening on your ports.

"sudo netstat -plant | grep 8005" might be a lot more useful, but I don't use Debian a lot, so I'm not 100% sure of the flags.

Daniel Mizrahi November 11, 2012

Thanks Nic, but i tried it and don't see any big issue.

I get nothing when i grep to 8005, and this is the result when i dont gerp it:

Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1017/portmap
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2162/sshd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2156/master
tcp 0 0 SERVER_IP_HERE:22 MY_IP_HERE:7668 ESTABLISHED 16418/sshd: daniel.
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 2162/sshd

Any other ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2012

Ah! Yes, actually. Netstat is still my friend, but it's a bit more obscure than "something else using the port".

I suspect you might have run into a problem (bug?) I've hit before with Linux boxes and java. I was using a mixed IPV 4 and 6 stack. For some reason I never worked out, the application (it wasn't an Atlassian one) tested the IPV4 ports you told it to, then reported every single one of them as held open if IPV6 was enabled.

Just as a test to see if I'm barking in completely the wrong forest (again), could you temporarily disable ipv6 - http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6 and see if that changes the error?

Suggest an answer