JIRA consuming lots of resources + long boot time

James Wong August 11, 2013

JIRA takes up to 10 minutes to startup and during that time has huge CPU usage. I followed the standard installation process with JIRA starting up as a service.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2013

Hi, what are the specs of this server? How much RAM is JIRA allocated? The CPU usage is probably standard (depending on number of plugins and what settings you've made).

0 votes

I have the following allocated through tomcat7

--JvmMx 1024 ++JvmOptions="-XX:MaxPermSize=512m"

Hardware specifications, standalone physical machine. Win 7 64-bit. 1.60 GHz CPU. 16GB RAM

Plugins installed:

• Atlassian Greenhopper
  • JIRA AutoLink
  • JIRA Charting
  • JIRA Drag and Drop Attachment
  • JIRA Misc Custom Fields
  • JIRA Subversion plugin
  • JIRA Suite Utilities
  • JIRA Syntax Highlighter plugin
  • JIRA Threaded Comments

After JIRA has started, CPU usage drops down to an average of 8-19%.

Thank you for looking into it.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2013

Do you have daily backups turned on? Looking at the logs on startup what is taking the most time? Subversion might be an issue.

Is it a 1.60Ghz single or dual core? Intel i3 perhaps? It could be that the CPU is a bit weak.

From the screenshot I don't think Tomcat is running in 64bit mode right? That may or may not help.

Nah there is no backup whatsoever. JIRA is linked to Crucible + Fisheye though.

It's a single core AMD.

Not sure about Tomcat, am running the version that lives inside the /bin/ folder of JIRA.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2013

Which bundle did you download? There's a 32bit and 64bit installer for Windows.

A single core AMD... considering all the plugins, etc that you have it might be about right. The single core AMD is rather weak. I suspect you don't have powerful disks either.

James Wong February 19, 2014

We invested in a Intel xeon e5 machine, migrated JIRA to CentOS. Runs extremely efficiently. We are not sure if it's the because of a more powerful machine or because of the OS. We notice CPU usage during idle times to be considerably lower on CentOS than on Windows.

Anyway, I've chosen you as an answer, Atlassian keeps bugging me and you are the only one who replied. Thanks.

Suggest an answer