JIRA batch script

VenugopalY January 28, 2014

I'm looking for JIRA batch script support to get tickets information that are open, search them for key words, sort them, extract certain fields from the tickets and put it in a file that can be imported into Excel, and create an Excel spreadsheet with a Pivot table containing the information from the tickets.
I think scripts can be written to create and manipulate Microsoft Office files (Excel, Work, etc.). The most common language to do this is Visual Basic, but I would like to know what options there are. Ideally I would like to use Python, Please let me the possible options.

Regards,
Venu.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2014

This one is a little hard to give a firm answer for.

You've not defined where you expect this to run, so we can't really advise you on the best way to do it. To make that decision, your best bet is to ask what is best for your users.

To explain this, you've got three basic routes here:

• Do it in Jira. Jira already has exports to Excel, so you can simply click on those and get the data you need. It's a simple generic export, so you'd need to manipulate it after download, or write something in Jira that includes your business rules and does the more complex stuff for the end-suer
  • Do it in the target system. In this case, that sounds like Excel. In which case, your best bet probably is to brave the horrors of VBS because that's embedded in it already and you can probably write something that can get the data from Jira and do all the work. When I say "get the data from Jira", I don't know if VBS in Excel can fetch data via REST (which is the best way to do it), process an XML or RSS feed (which is a pretty good way to do it), or simply trigger the Excel export I mentioned above and add all the stuff you need to it there.
  • Use an external system to pull and push. Pull from Jira (ideally via REST), push to the target system using whatever that can use to import data. This frees you up from "what language is supported where" and you can write it in whatever you want.

In other words, the "possible options" are pretty much "you can do what you want, as long as it supports interaction with both systems"

VenugopalY March 2, 2014

Hi Nic Brough, My requirement is I would like to be able to create a program or script that will create JIRA reports. I will use this to get daily reports on certain tickets and metrics on certain classes of tickets. Having a program that can be scheduled automatically is essential so that I do not have to open JIRA in a web browser and create the reports before I can look at them.

Please advise.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2014

So that rules out my first option. You'll need to read through the other two and decide which is best for you.

0 votes
Mallika Puchala August 12, 2015

Hi Venugopal,

I also want to do the similar  task in python.Can you just guide me that what are the things need to require to complete this task.Please let me know your feedback.

Suggest an answer