JIRA attachment file type restriction

David Finney September 3, 2013

How can I restrict JIRA attachments to XML, JPEG, PNG, Microsoft Office document types?

6 answers

3 votes
Heaton June 12, 2018

The fact that the only solutions to this are additional cost add ons says a LOT about Atlassian's view of its customers. 

Richard Cross November 5, 2019

There's a saying in IT that you sometimes have to "eat your own dog food" in order to gain true empathy with your customers.

To that end, perhaps when raising a support ticket with Atlassian, you should supply screenshots embedded into Word documents rather than attaching the image file directly... just as we (paying) end-users of Jira Service Desk have to endure.

Like Meagan likes this
2 votes
Heaton June 12, 2018

This is really insulting. 

1 vote
Akeles
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2014

Hi David,

You can also check out the Attachment Checker for JIRA plugin to see whether it suits your needs.

Unfortunately this only provides attachment restriction on a per-project basis.  I suspect the OP wants to be able to ban certain file types from Jira altogether (as I do).

Ian Ang November 5, 2019

Attachment Checker for JIRA bans certain file types from Jira altogether

I'm going by the documentation for the plugin.

https://documentation.infosysta.com/display/JAM/Extension+Security+-+Blocking

In this section, it seems you have to supply the project names the whitelist/blacklist applies to. 

I couldn't find anything else on the same doc site that tells me how to whitelist/blacklist file extensions across all projects.

Hua Soon SIM _Akeles_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 6, 2019

Hi Richard,

The documentation for Attachment Checker is at https://akeles.jira.com/wiki/display/ACJ/Home

Richard Cross November 6, 2019

That's a completely different link to the one listed on Marketplace.

Additionally, from that site, it looks like the only option is global filtering, and there's no longer the ability to filter by project at all!  This means, having a separate and more restrictive list for Service Desk projects is out of the question.

1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2013

Hi David,

We have a improvement request for this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-13684

Cheers,

Lucas Lima

Heaton June 12, 2018

Was this improvement request killed?

Like Iman mohammadi likes this
Matt February 11, 2020

Can't see this link.

0 votes
Software UCLAnet November 9, 2018

we need a file type restriction. people with digital sig always get their .p7s attached to tickets. 

Worse is people who attach emails to their issues in some format that is not cross-operating system compatible (e.g.  Outlook emails unreadable on Ubuntu).

Like Matt likes this
0 votes
Paul Clark _Redmoon Software_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 17, 2014

Hi David.

Not sure if you are still looking but I've developed a plugin called Document Vault (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.redmoon.jira.documentvault) which is a replacement for JIRA attachments. It gives you the ability to have a blacklist and whitelist of file extensions that can be attached to an Issue, including the use of regular expressions. Any current JIRA attachments can be hidden or included inside the Document Vault panel. You can also restrict access to attachments. I am also open to suggestions for other features.

Thanks

Paul

Suggest an answer