JIRA and MSSQL with dynamic ports

Sune Mølgaard January 6, 2013

Our customer wants to use an SQL Server Cluster with dynamic ports, and so far, I have found the following solution:

Install from ZIP

1) Replace jtds-1.2.4.jar with jtds-1.3.jar (possibly the one from http://sourceforge.net/p/jtds/discussion/104389/thread/20f728dd/ until 1.3.1 is available).

2) Select internal database for now.

3) At step 2, stop the service

4) Edit dbconfig.xml to not have a port number, and add ;instance=INSTANCE;domain=DOMAIN;user=USER;password=PASSWORD; to the connection string. Keep the normal user/password fields filled, as they are checked for existence and non-emptiness.

5) Start the service again, and continue with configuration.

This seems to work, and I would suggest that official support for 1.3.0, dynamic ports and Windows credentials might be a topic for work going forward, but I would like to know if this method will bring our customer in an unsupported state. As an argument to the contrary, I would like to point out that this is simply configuration parameters for an external component, namely jtds.

Note: This is our own SEN number as an Atlassian Partner, but the customer has already made the decision to buy a 500 user license that we just hasn't requested to be issued quite yet.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2013

There is a Knowledge base regarding to the connection with the MSSQL in cluster mode : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Unable+to+connect+to+named+instance

I think it does not required 1.3 lib. But on the other hand, the new version seems recently release, it will require more test to prove the stability on the production environment. :)

Sune Mølgaard January 13, 2013

My assumption of 1.3 being a requirement was wrong and based on a jtds bug discussion. Thus, I seem to have gotten it to work without any real trouble at all, but thank you for the answer - I shall mark it as an answer anyway, since it does seem to cover this scenario.
One little bit of info is that one will notice that the port isn't specified, which makes clustering with dynamic ports work as it should.

Suggest an answer