JIRA and JIRA Agile Consulting

Steven Kahrs July 19, 2015

We are using JIRA and JIRA Agile to manage our practice of Scrum and to manage other work processes as well.  We have a number of configurations to build and test in our instances and very little bandwidth available to allocate to that work and our skills in this area are all based on reading the on line documentation and the practice of trial and error.  What we'd ideally like to do is find a consulting resource who could do 2 things for us:  build out our configurations per our requirements (which would involve dialog around those requirements and around the capabilities of JIRA and JIRA Agile) AND teach us what we need to know to be better positioned to do our own configurations in the future (which would likely involve teaching several staff members how to do what needs doing).

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2015

You should reach out to an atlassian expert. https://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2015

@Steven Kahrs - to just add a little to what Daniel said when we work with clients in very similar situations we try and set an expectation for the training that doesn't have them thinking 'ok, at the end of this engagement we'll finally be able to handle that cross-organizational process redesign!' - rather, we set the expectation that from one training session (Admin training) and some docs that supplement Atlassians but implement more of their internal process names/flow they'll be able to identify the different components that make up the Atlassian Installation, start/stop these different components as well as insight into which log files to use for trouble-shooting which one, basic user administration + security with our scalable security model, and other fairly common (requests that come up at least once a week or more) requests. We don't tell them they'll be proficient workflow experts. I've been doing this stuff since 2004 and I'm still not an expert. Certain aspects of JIRA and JIRA Agile are quite complex, even though each component part is in essence quite simple. The problem is, unless you work with it every day across hundreds of different installations and configurations it's too damn hard to remember what to do, and when not to do it because it'll break something else. Just my little bit I wanted to add. Even if you know in theory exactly what is required to implement your process changes it's typically useful to get an expert involved who'll be willing to work within your schedule and budget delivering the changes you need. Notice I said need and not want/request.

Suggest an answer