JIRA and ITILv3

Atex May 3, 2012

I have read several of the good articles about JIRA and believe that it does not provide 'out of the box' support for ITIL processes. We have a workflow in place, configured by a single person that supports our key requirements but as I understand it, we would need to re-visit this workflow and re-design it to comply with ITIL practices - specifically ITILv3.

Does this sound reasonable? Would I need a whole team of people to do this? It looks like a lot of work which could include several customisations and plugins.

2 answers

1 vote
Guillermo _DEISER_ December 15, 2012

Hello Michael;

JIRA a general purpose tool with a wide scope. Many of the Experts who works with JIRA try to help companies by guiding them on how to adapt JIRA to those frameworks. IN the case of ITIL as said NIc, you'll need several actions: workflows, customisation, some plugins and, probably, specific developments.

But you can try with some pluguins. for instance: VertygoSLA is the most popular defining SLAs and a very valauble (and Mature) plugins to do that (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.valiantys.jira.plugins.vertygo.jira-vertygosla-plugin)

We have another plugin, called Profields, to define Project-level Attributes, a very important feature to store project-level informacion and have corporate indicators and reports.

A good knowledge of the marketplace is important to save a lot of money a build a good solution. Please let me know if you are still interested to go on with it.

Regards

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2012

I know of several places that have adapted their Jira systems to match ITILv3, although I can't say they were using it for every single thing ITIL covers. They needed varying plugins and a bit of work on Jira configuration, but a couple of them managed without any plugins at all (one by saying "this bit of ITIL is wrong for us", and another by doing the report manually)

A team of people to set it up is overkill, but you will probably find you need to invest a good chunk of time in it, probably a dedicated person to get the basics set up. Ideally, that should be someone with some experience with Jira admin, but just as important is for them to be able to talk to your users/PMs about how you currently do ITIL and how you'd like to get it done in Jira.

Atex May 9, 2012

Thanks for this great info. Could it be said that there is an 'essentials' set of plugins that are needed for each process? Eg. for Service Level Management a certain plugin is really needed; Capacity Management is best implemented with another?

Where I'm coming from is that other (higher cost) proprietary systems typically provide clear direction on which out-of-the-box component or add-on service/module provides support for which ITIL practice. I'm seeking to understand a bit more on if there's a clear path to achieving this and any specific plugins/extensions involved.

Suggest an answer