JIRA and Greenhopper time tracking and remaining time management

Ray Sanchez December 10, 2012

Hi guys:

I'm new to JIRA and SCRUM and we are implementing both using Greenhopper. We are testing some functionalities and we dont know exactly how to manage time tracking with sprints and story points.

Here is the case:

Someone creates a story wtih some sub-tasks and its corresponding estimate hours to complete each of those tasks. One task was completed two hours ahead of time (4h instead of 6h), what we should do for greenhopper to resport the correct velocity and burndown graphic. Should I enter 4h in the low work module and leave the remaining 2 or I should select the set to option and put 0 in the field? Which is teh correct way to do it?

Thanks for your help

Ray

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marten December 12, 2012

Hi Ray,

Like all functionalities in Jira, there are more ways to reach the same goal.

The simplest way to report the correct velocity is to simply edit the remaining time of a certain task. And of course this always should be zero, once you completed the task.

If you also want to track the time you actually spent on a task, you should start the 'log work' dialogue. You can start this from the 'plus sign' next to the remaining time field on the right side of your screen. Or you can choose it from the edit drop down menu of a task.

Within this dialogue you can log your 'time spent' and next to that you can choose how that is reflected to the remaining time needed for the task. Play around with this dialogue and you'll find out how it works exactly.

In addition: The two values 'time spent' and 'remaining time' can be directly represented in your burndown chart.

Good luck!

Marten

Suggest an answer