It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JIRA access for third party

Hi there,

I need to give access to only one JIRA board to a third party - that third party must not have access to anything else than that specific JIRA board.

How can I set up that access?

Thanks for your help.

3 answers

Hi @Audrey Libert,

First things first, I will list down what you have done:

1. Create a new user.
  2. Create a new group and add those new users into this group.
  3. Share that JIRA board and Filter to the group. You can refer to configuring board page to get more information.

Regards,
Kishore Kumar Gangavath.

Hi Kishore,

thanks for that.

The thing is I don't want the third party to access anything else related to our company and we have some internal board accessible from everyone.

If I create new users, they will have access to everything by default, won't they?

THanks

Hi @Audrey Libert,

Depends upon your requirement you can give access to the "third party". If you want to give this "third party" group to the specific project and board. Then you need to create a custom permission scheme for this. Make necessary modification to the permission scheme and associated to the specific project.  For more information about permission schemes please go through the Managing project permissions page and permissions overview page.

Regards,
Kishore Kumar Gnagavath.

The issue here is that we have quite a lot of projects that are public or with limited restrictions. I do not manage all those boards and won't be able to impose restriction rules on them.

So I need to find a way to give access to my board ONLY to the third party...

Does it make sense?

Regards,

Audrey 

0 votes
Olga_Videc Community Leader Jan 10, 2019

Hello @Audrey Libert

This person needs to have Jira software license, and you can create a custom permission scheme where that person has permissions for this specific project, and apply it.

And don't forget if you are using a filter for this board to grant permission to this 3 party, group or a person.

Br, Olga

Create and Invite a test user to your JIRA (your email+something@yourDomain.com would work well for this purpose).

Create a new Group and add it to the Product Access group for Jira Software.

Add the user to the new group. Make sure the user's Jira-access toggle is also on.

Remove any default-assigned groups that would over-permit the user, such as any group that has browse all projects permission in Global Permissions.

Create a new Project Role and add this user to the desired project with this Role.

In the permission scheme for this Project, grant the user's PROJECT ROLE only the permissions for this project that you want someone with this role to have. Some permissions have dependencies and you'll have to grant those too in order for some things to work. DO NOT permit the Group. There are reasons for this that I don't want to go into, given the wide variety of jira configs. For your purpose, just don't do it. There is risk of it over-permitting.

Test. Log in with incognito and test. If this is to your liking, use the same group and role for that jira guest of yours. otherwise, tweak as needed.

*note: the 'log in as user' function does not update sidebar access permissions, so you can't rely on that tool to judge what the user can see if they use the jira sidebar to navigate around and preview stuff. better to make a test user and deactivate them when you're done.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you