JIRA Workflow exception

William Gunkel August 13, 2013

Seeing lot of expectations wondering if this is normal

2013-08-13 09:53:25,336 http-bio-8443-exec-49 ERROR josh.gomez 593x1384x7 f5ynu2 172.16.171.10 /secure/CommentAssignIssue.jspa [atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] Caught exception while attempting to perform action 5 from workflow 56028 on issue 'CONT-4275'
[InvalidInputException: [Error map: [{customfield_10722=OSR Version is required.}]] [Error list: [[]]]

Told by support

This looks like an issue with a third party plugin you have installed - Jira Suite Utilities:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

If you follow that link there is an issues and support section for the vendor. Somebody may have raised this already with them so they should be able to help you.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2013

The Jira Suite Utilities has a validator that allows you to make a field mandatory. It works, but unfortunately throws exceptions into the log when a user does something that fails the validation check.

So, it is "normal", but I think we'd all agree it's not desirable behaviour - it should be a simple "fail", not a full java exception. I am pretty sure I've seen an issue logged in the JSU tracker, but I've not got it bookmarked.

William Gunkel August 13, 2013

I agree throwing full Java exception is extreme over kill. I opened bug with the developer.. THANKS for response

David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2013

Unfortunately, this is the way JIRA validators work: the must raise an Exception to signify to JIRA that the validation failed (validate is a void function)

0 votes
William Gunkel February 12, 2014

Still seems that the java error that flags the plugin that requrment was not meet should have a diffrenet logging level so you do not spam your log files. We have good number of required fields in our workflwos

This makes very hard to parse the log files for "real" errors

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2014

Absolutely, it's a pain in the neck having to do it like this. A validator shouldn't have to throw exceptions just to say "no, the data is wrong"

0 votes
Anthony Van Alphen February 6, 2014

Is there any logging levels that can resolve this in Jira configuration?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2014

There's nothing to resolve - you get an exception in the log if validation fails.

If you're getting other exceptions, then more logging isn't going to tell you a lot - you need to investigate the exception.

David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

If you really want to get rid of this ERROR in your logs, you can deactivate logging for atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager entirely (log level=NONE). But the consequence is that you will never see any error raised by this class anymore, which might hide other problems.

Suggest an answer