JIRA Workflow - enforcing a wait time between statuses

Kerrin Hardy January 20, 2014

We have put together a 34 step decommissioning workflow in JIRA. There are 2 steps that we need to enforce a delay to ensure there is sufficient time for feedback before skipping on to the next step.

For example, if step 5 is disable application front-end, the workflow should prevent anyone from advancing the issue to step 6 until at least 2 weeks has passed.

What is the best way to achieve this?

3 answers

1 vote
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2014

Very interesting question. And a 34-step workflow? I would love to learn more! You can email me at jleader@go2group.com

Here's my first idea on how to hack this. I'd use the JIRA Workflow Toolbox to store the current datetime into a custom variable during a transition:

Then I would add a condition from the same plug-in to the transition I wanted to delay:

Then you can compare the current datetime with the stored datetime. I agree that there may be other ways to do this, but this seems like a simple foolproof way.

You can find more information about how to code for this in an example on their website:

Good luck! 34 steps??? Do you at least have different views in a Kanban board for the different stages of the workflow?

Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2014

Kerrin,

Did you find a solution?

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2014

Hi,
You can do it , but you must use one of scripting plugins like JJUPIN, JSS or groovy.
In our company we use JJUPIN to add an execution condition in transition like your need.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2014

You need a condition that can look at the date of the last transition and block the next one until the time has passed.

There isn't one of these in Jira and I've not seen one in any plugins, so you need to have a look through the marketplace for one in case I've missed it, but probably write your own. As usual, I'd recommend a look at the script runner plugin to make it easy to write your own.

Suggest an answer