JIRA Workflow editor height too small

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2012

Hi,

when I open the workflow editor with the diagram view the Flash window is too small and make it unusable.

Is there a way to set a min-width to it?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2012

Hi Luca,

Unfortunately we have a bug that causes the Flash object to not always correctly resize to fill the available window size in some browsers. In these cases, making any adjustment to the window size (just resizing it by a few pixels) will trigger it to wake up and resize correctly.

Otherwise, if it's already taking up the whole available space and it's still not enough, could you please give an indication of the screen resolution you're using? A screenshot would be really helpful if it wouldn't contain any private information.

Thanks,

Penny

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2012

It is already taking up the whole available space.

I have a resolution of 1366x768 pixels and I have added a screenshot of the application to this comment.

Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2012

Thanks for the quick response.

Ouch, I see the problem - if an instance has a large company logo, an announcement banner, the reindexing message, the administrator sessions banner and only 768 pixels of height, the space gets used up pretty quickly.

I can think of two workarounds for this:

1) You could use the text mode instead. It has the same functionality, just in a text format rather than graphical.

2) Put in some custom javascript to resize the flash object. I am no JavaScript expert, so please treat this with caution! As you are running an installed version of the product, you can put add some hidden JavaScript into the JIRA announcement banner that will resize the object after the page has loaded. Something like this:

<script>
if (AJS && AJS.$) {
AJS.$(document).ready(function () {
if (AJS.$(".workflow-container").length > 0 && window && window.setTimeout) {
window.setTimeout (function() { AJS.$("#jwdFlex").height("800px"); }, 1000 );
}
});
}
</script>

It waits 1000 milliseconds after the document is ready to give the flash object a second to initialise, and then resizes the flash to 800 pixels high. This is a terrible unsupported hack but might be enough to work around the issue for your particular environment.

Kind regards,

Penny

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2012

Thanks Penny,

the problem is not blocking, because you can always use text mode, as you said, but I like very much using the diagram instead!

If I'll try your hack I'll write here if it works.

Thank you very much for your assistance!!

Luca Andreatta
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2012

You script worked like a charm!!! Yu must reconsider your Javascript skill, well done Penny!!

For anyone who is interested you could insert Penny's javascript in System > User Inteface > Announcement Banner, I only changed height to 500 pixel.

Thank you Penny!

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2013

First the graphical editor is MANDATORY in jira because it is the OLNY way to add global and common transitions (not ask me why!).

Currently editing transitions in the graphica editor is really paintful -- the window is using 1/3 or browser screen space.

Penny, Can you provide us with a link to existing bug in Jira?

0 votes
Felipe Bertrand January 16, 2014

The following trick works for me.

Simply reload the web page and scroll down while the page is being rendered. This adds more space to the bottom of the page, which gets filled by the editor window.

0 votes
Georg January 22, 2013

The code of Penny works perfectly.

Thanks a lot

Jay Armstrong June 25, 2013

Indeed it does - thanks Penny!

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2013

Yep, probalby nobody from Atlassian used the editor to edit real transitions because otherwise they would had fixed this long time ago.

Suggest an answer