JIRA Workflow designer doesn't remember layout: any solution?

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

Why doesn't the JIRA visual workflow designer (flash application) doesn't remember the layout of workflows when you rename or change any other item associated with it?

It drives me mad to have to redo the entire layout of the workflow every time JIRA decides to reset it to the vertical layout it uses by default.

Where are the layout settings kept? In database? XML file or any other location?

Does anyone else have this annoying issue? and have you found any solution?

Looking forward to your answers,

Jacques.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Laura Bantug January 2, 2013

A time-consuming but successful workaround that was suggested by someone in JRA-25548 comments was to use polygonal lines having at least 4 segments (even for a straight line).

I tested this and put each of the points for the line:

• one point in the middle of the workflow step box,
  • one at the edge of the workflow step box,
  • one at the connecting edge of the workflow step box
  • one in the middle of the connected workflow box

After saving, all of the lines as well as the transition labels stuck!

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2014

FYI, the instructions for adding segments to a polygonal line can be found here.

FYI#2: the problem reported by the OP has been resolved in JIRA 6.1

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

Maybe you are referring to this issue?

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41291/how-do-i-stop-jira-from-messing-up-my-workflow-diagram

There's a bug in the Jira that messes up your diagram even when you fix it all and save it. There are a lot of questions about this.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

Add your vote in this Jira issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-25548

And remember to mark answer as correct.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

I voted on JRA-25548 (and added comment & screenshot) back in January. I notice that this issue is still logged as an improvement rather than a defect.

Has anyone yet had a look at the new "Workflow Sharing Plugin"?

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-workflow-sharing-plugin

The feature list of stuff that will get ported includes...

• the workflow designer layout
  • the workflow designer annotations

Layout? Tasty.

Naturally, the plugin was released the day *after* I completed a very (very, very) tedious manual migration of my workflows from test jira to live jira.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

Yes, I found many issues that have been open for years, many years. We only can wait, or use other tools like the one you indicated.

But I'm sure you will give your self a 'break' after all that work done ;)

0 votes
K Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

Not sure what layout options you are referring to. However, there is a save layout icon in the menu bar that I use often to save what I've done.

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2012

I know about the save icon. I use it often. But sometimes the layout gets lost... not sure for what reason.

if you wish to reproduce it:

1. (copy a workflow just so you can delete it easily afterwards)
  2. Open the workflow in design mode
  3. Move some things around, just the way you want it
  4. Save workflow
  5. go back to workflow list
  6. Rename the workflow to anything else
  7. Open the renamed workflow in design mode
  8. You'll probably see that the same workflow has completely changed in design mode.

That is my problem. ;o))

Any solutions are welcome!!

Suggest an answer