JIRA Workflow - Editing Name Of Initial 'Create' Status

Miles Readman September 19, 2013

I am looking to change the name of the initial 'create' status in a workflow, or replace it with a different status I have created and make that the initial 'create' status for a workflow. Can't seem to figure out how to do it...

Also, if this is a copy of an active workflow and I change the name of the status will that effect the status name of the active workflow?

Any help appreciated.. thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2013

There are a couple of options here, which one works best for you I can't really advise.

First, I tend to stick to using the text based editor for explanations because it's a little bit easier to write for (the diagram workflow editor can do this, but I really want to draw pictures to do it).

The basic concept is that the "create" transition is what matters here. This goes from <null status> to your first status and is a little bit hidden. It's created by default in all new workflows, and (generally) can't be deleted. Anyway, if you go into your workflow and look at the text, find the STEP that is the default, the one that when you create an issue, it starts with (almost certainly "Open").

On the right-hand side, you should see the outgoing transitions. Click on one of those and look at the top-right of the screen you get for the "workflow browser". You should see the outgoing transition on the the right, the status in the middle and incoming transitions on the left. Including "Create"

Clcik on "Create" and then to the left, you should see some stuff describing the transition. Edit this, and you'll find you can change the end point of "Create". Job done :-)

Your other option is to associate a different status name with the first step. This can be a bit painful though, as you will affect all issues currently on that workflow.

Miles Readman September 19, 2013

Great! This is good to know. Its a bit hard to figure out at first, but I managed to changed the initial step to a new status that I created. Thanks for your help!

Andrew Brodie October 1, 2019

Thank you so much! I have been struggling with this for ages - even 6 years later it is impossible to find & edit this transition!

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2020

Thanks! Also in 2020 still useful.

Suggest an answer