JIRA Workflow Documentation?

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2015

is there anything available that anyone knows of that could convert a JIRA workflow into a readable document?

This would include all Conditions, Validators, and Post Functions. Right now the only way I know is to manually do this by putting the workflow in Edit mode and clicking each transition the opening each functional area to see what is set.

Thanks

Andrew

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2015

We had a feature request some time ago for this in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29815, but was closed because the XML export was considered a feasible workaround sad

I think you could export the XML and edit to become more readable, and I already saw some people doing it, but is a lot of work if you have a big workflow.

I also saw some people convert the XML to CSV, and one could say the file in a CSV format is more human readable.

I don't think there is any other solution besides that.

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2015

Thanks for your input. That was my next step was to convert to csv...may just be easier to do it the old fashioned way and write it up :-)

1 vote
pAKoSTevE December 6, 2019

Hi @Andrew Morin ,

Look no more!

We created Glass Project Documentation for create automatic project documentation, including workflows. You can export it to PDF, or browse it online!

0 votes
Robert Anthony August 27, 2015

Not sure why you would want to do something like this, my gut tells me its so you can set it up somewhere else. While I'm not sure it would exactly fit your needs, have you looked into workflow exporting/importing?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/sharing-your-workflow-315326771.html

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2015

Me either Robert but I have been requested to show the full process behind the workflow(s) in a documentation style so management understands what is happening under the covers. It is for some complex device certification workflows I built. I am familiar with import/export and tried to do something with an exported version of the xml but it was ugly. They want to see the auto assigns and to who, the auto creation of sub-tasks and auto creation of issues in other projects, conditions and so forth...

Like Siddharth Maran likes this

Suggest an answer