JIRA Validation / View As A User

Abul Khair December 21, 2017

As of now, I am the admin to manage and configure all the projects. I am working on setup on permissions and dashboard.
As I am admin I can see additional permissions but from a validation purpose, I want to see a user's permission to ensure that have limited access. How do I do this validation? Shall I create a super admin role to make all the changes and then I log-in as myself (as a normal user) to validate etc..

I am new to the JIRA admin so just trying to understand how to go about this.

Thank you!

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ December 21, 2017

Are you using JIRA Server?
If so, I suggest you to try 'User Switcher for Jira', It allows you to quick change to a different user without reset or know the password and its FREE.

1 vote
Bryan Trummer - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

I typically use the Adaptavist Script Runner Built-In Script that allows me to log in as another user (switch user). This way I can see what that user has access to without going around and changing permissions, groups, etc. This is not a free add on to JIRA. Here some info on that specific built in script.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html

Thanks, Bryan, 

Is there another way? A free way? Thank you!

Bryan Trummer - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

You could do what you mentioned before. You could create a user that has the same roles/permissions of the limited view you want them to have. Log in as that user see what you can see then remove the user so it doesn't go against your license.

0 votes

How can I reset the password of a user and log-in as them? 

Suggest an answer