JIRA Users without resolve permission can resolve issues

Loredana November 14, 2013

Hi,

I just discovered a strange situation:

I have a project role called "Observers". This is ment for a kind of restricted users, and they are allowed to also add comments and assign issues.

Their group has only the global permission "JIRA Users", so that they can login. Their Project Role (Observers) is in the permission scheme at:

• Browse Projects,
  • Assign Issues,
  • View Read-Only Workflow,
  • View Voters and Watchers,
  • Add Comments,
  • Edit Own Comments.

Strangely enough, I tested it with that user, and I was able to resolve issues, close, start progress... in other words do workflow transitions where there were no conditions on project roles or groups.

How can I restrict these users from making workflow transitions without having to put conditions on every transition? And how would I even say that any Project Role may, except the Observers?

Many thanks,

Loredana

2 answers

3 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

If I'm correct, the problem is in the workflows. Those resolve and close permissions work if in your workflow you specify that only the users with that permission can execute the transition. Check your workflow Conditions and Validators.

I know putting conditions on all transitions can be very tedious, but I you really want the restriction for some users this has to be done :D

Hope this helps.

Loredana November 17, 2013

But I want these users to not be able to make any trasitions at all, that means I have to put the conditons at every transistion that user should be in the other 6 roles, except the observers ? That's more than tedious.

I don't understand why I have to specify again that only users having that permission in the permission scheme can resolve and close, since that scheme is assigned to the project...it's redundant. I thought that the permission scheme is the first filter, and then I can make more restrictions in the workflow conditions. And the permission scheme only has resolve and close, I need to restrict all transitions.

Any other ideas? Thx!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

It's easier than it seems. In the moment you create a new workflow you can name the status and transitions with whatever name you like and in that way it's impossible for JIRA to know if in a transition it should check what permission. Unless you indicate what permission should check for that transition.

You can do this: Assign the resolve issue permission to all the roles you want to be able to resolve. And then in the transition indicate a Condition for resolve issue permission. That way the role that doesn't have this permission in the scheme won't be able to fire the transition.

Loredana November 18, 2013

Thank you Ramiro. I can use that resolve permission at every transistion, true. It's just a bit of work now, since we have quite a few workflows to edit.

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2013

Can this user do a transition where the resolution of the issue is set ? Also check if the user is in the group which has resolve issue project permission

Suggest an answer