JIRA Upgrade from 3.13.5 to 5.2.10 with Oracle : do we have to manually update database?

Johann NG April 11, 2013

Hi,

I am in charge of upgrading a JIRA instance from 3.13.5 to 5.2.10.

I intend to do a manual upgrade with Oracle 11 database.

The target process is to upgrade straight from 3.13.5 to 4.4.5 and finally to 5..2.10.

Do we need to apply some manual Oracle scripts like described here ? :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.0+Database+Schema+Changes+for+MySQL+and+Oracle

Or eventually, are these scripts already included in JIRA Upgrade Tasks when the application starts the first time?

Thanks for you help.

Regards

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2013

Depends on how you are doing 3.13 to 4.4.

If you're exporting the XML and then importing it, then no, 4.4 will create the correct database layout and import the data.

If you are pointing the new 4.4 at the existing 3.13 database and expecting it to do all the work, then yes, you need to follow those instructions - shut down 3.13, take a backup of the database, run the scripts and alterations, start Jira 4.4

Two pretty obvious points here, but I've seen people skip them and create nightmares. 1) Test it properly on non-production systems before you start and 2) Backups. Database backups are your friend. Be nice to them...

Johann NG April 11, 2013

Ok, I got it. No shortcuts for database upgrade.

Of course everything will be tested until it is safe do final upgrade in production.

Thanks!

Cheers

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2013

It is only because there are column format changes between 3.x and 4.x and the code in Jira doesn't cope with those changes. Fortunately they are actually reasonably simple (heck, I can follow the script, and my DBA knowledge is little more than "select from where"). A clean install followed by import of xml bypasses the problem because it creates the columns in the right format, but that's not always the right answer for every situation.

Fortunately, you'll find 4.x to 5.x has nothing anywhere near as scary in it :-)

Johann NG April 11, 2013

Thanks Nic for your feedback.

I read JIRA Upgrade Guides from 4.0 to 4.4.5.

It seems that there is only one Oracle script to apply when upgrading from 3.13.5 to 4.0

This not a big deal indeed.

Suggest an answer