JIRA Upgrade and migration basic question

mike f June 15, 2017

I have been reading about this on the site. My boss was telling me we can migrate from 6.2.3 on server A(win 2008r2) to a fresh install of 7.3 on server B(win 2012r2)  without upgrading the version before or after migration. 

My reading leads me to believe that we must either upgrade before migration or migrate to 6.2.3 and then upgrade. Could anyone confirm this for me please?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2017

Hi Mike,

If you are upgrading from 5.2 or above then you can upgrade directly to JIRA 7.0.  Once you have upgraded to JIRA 7.0.x (making sure that Service Desk was updated too, if required) then you can upgrade to 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3 directly.

A couple things to be aware of:

If you are running JIRA Service Desk, per the JIRA Service Desk 3.2 Upgrade Notes:

1. Upgrade to JIRA 7.0 and upgrade Service Desk
  2. Upgrade to JIRA 7.2 and the upgrade Service Desk
  3. Upgrade to JIRA 7.3.x and upgrade Service Desk

If you have ever installed Service Desk, even if it was only to try it out and you removed it you still need to follow those steps since the AO tables for SD will be present.  

Cheers,

Branden

mike f June 15, 2017

I do apologize, this does not seem to answer my question. Basically, can I migrate from version 6.2.3 to 7.x without an upgrade first? 

Or must I upgrade then migrate, or migrate to 6.2.3 and then upgrade?

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2017

Hi Mike,

You can install JIRA 7.0.x and migrate the 6.3.x data to 7.0.x.  This will run the required upgrade tasks for the 6.3.x data.  Once you have done that you can then need to upgrade the migrated instance in the manner I previously outlined if you're using Service Desk.  If you're not using Service Desk, once you get to 7.0.x you can upgrade to the latest version of JIRA!

Cheers,

Branden

mike f June 15, 2017

Excellent! Thank you for your time and information.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2017

No problem at all! 

Suggest an answer