JIRA Time Tracking to include Linked Issues

Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

We are making uses of Epics, Stories, Tasks and Subtasks for this new project I am working on.

For time-tracking, I know you can have a task's time track to include a sub-task's time track... but what about linked issues?

Tasks link to Stories which linke to Epics... so is there a way of time-tracking at the Epic level of all the stories and their various tasks? It seems you can only have a task track it's subtasks.. but there is no way for an activity to track activities that are linked to it.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

You can write that yourself using a scripted field from the script runner plugin, or AFAIK, the Structure plugin can roll up timetracking based on links. The latter I think is relatively easy but commercial.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2013

Indeed, Structure lets you construct a hierarchy based on Epic-Story-Subtask relationships and links between those and other isssues, all at the same time; then the "Total Estimate" and "Total Time Spent" columns would show you the totals on the Structure board.

0 votes
George Mihailoff August 27, 2018

There is an unconventional but convenient way of achieving this. Quantify Time Spent add-on goes beyond manual work logging with smart algorithms that estimate how much time people spent working on tickets. 

To the point of the original question -- it has flexible reporting capabilities, including Epic summary right on the ticket's page. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 9.43.50 AM.png

There is another plugin that works with the Jira's native work log -- https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213331/epic-sum-up-light

0 votes
Deleted user July 3, 2015

July 2015 and I still cannot believe that JIRA does not automatically estimate the time of a story based on subtasks and linked issues.

Why is not possible to do it out of the box?

Sebstian Ovide February 26, 2016

neither do I smile. Did you find any plugin ?

Like Jean-Marc ABADIE likes this
Vadzim Tashlikovich June 15, 2020

Hello, I'm from future. Jira just removed that future from Cloud version, it is available only using API.

Forgive them, they just want ocean of money being #1 tool.

Suggest an answer