JIRA System user account

Jeffi Sannapu August 12, 2015

Hello - I followed the instructions below and installed JIRA as Service and even set-up the Account. But I not able to login using the account into JIRA Application. I always get "your username and password are incorrect - please try again." I've treid both local system account option and this account option under logon Tab. But I am not able to login. I requested password or user name but I never get emails. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+as+a+Service

Can someone please help?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2015

Sounds like you'll need to reset the admin password.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

It says that I need to run SQL? But where do I run it? I mean how to do I get to the prompt and path? there were no instructions

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2015

It's assuming that you know what database you pointed JIRA at when you set it up. A mostly fair assumption - which one did you choose?

Thank you for your patience Nic. I just used all default settings and completed the installation and then tried to login. So I believe it should be using the pre-packaged HSQL DB that came with Atlassian Jira installable. It never asked me to create user name/password. After research I found the original link posted on my question, where it asked me to follow those instructions and I followed but none of those user IDs are letting me log into application. I've done this few times in the past (sometime ago) and it used to be more intuitive and did not have these issues. But looks like it creates it own user ID or I need to set-up default user account on Windows Services for Atlassian Service

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2015

Ok, we can work with that! The HSQL database is a little different to the others. Stop JIRA first, then go find the file called "database.script". It should be somewhere under the "home" directory for JIRA (possibly under database, but it depends on version, and I'm not that familiar with the windows installations) Take a copy of it, just in case, and then edit it in a text editor. Note that it *must* be a plain text editor, not a word processor or anything clever. You should be able to find the administrators password in there, and change it as per the recovery doc I listed earlier. Then restart JIRA

Jeffi Sannapu August 13, 2015

Thank you Nic. For some reason I cannot find "database.script" file it does not exist. However, I found the a file called jiradb.script. That file is huge and it was hard to make much sense of it. But while reviewing the file I saw my email account. So I attempted to login with JIRA online account and it let me know. This is frustrating as JIRA used to be more "user friendly" in installation process. For some reason, it allowed me to login using my Online account. I have not at all created a user ID with that account, I am guessing that when I downloaded from the online account perhaps it bound it to the id. So I am good. Thank you for all the help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2015

Well spotted, the name is jiradb.script, database.script is Confluence. Very sorry about that. I'm not sure that the installation is less "user friendly", it used to be messing around with files and setting things up. Now it guides you through it, and you only get problems like this when you've crashed out part way through, or not paid attention when following the setup process. Anyway, glad you're back in!

Jeffi Sannapu August 15, 2015

Thank you Nic. This is not the first time, I've installed JIRA and I've used JIRA on and off since 2002 (granted with long gaps in between). I can assure you that I have not "Crashed out the Party" in the middle or "not paid attention" :-) This time around I've installed it about 4 different times. When you follow standard instructions (which are pretty much "next-next" and done), it never asked me to create an Admin account or mentioned anything related to the account during installation, So at the conclusion, all is done within a min with login screen but you just do not know what is the admin account. (if you want I can send you screenshots). Then I followed the instructions on the atlassian site to "find out" that default account and to my knowledge none of those instructions matched with the outcome. I am not quite sure why the default account became my atlassian account. There were no instructions during installation. But I am glad it worked. What is odd, is and it still happens, when I try "forgot password or user name" it tells me that I am getting email and I never got an email. I've done that many times before I put this question. I love all atlassian products but this is such a small issue. I am not sure why this happened, because I have on-demand account and also server licenses or something else. Just sharing it as you've been very helpful

Suggest an answer