JIRA System Administrator Permissions

Andy Mellino February 21, 2013

JIRA system administrators are the only users with access to the Import/Export plugin. Our development teams use this plugin to bulk import tickets into the system for various reasons (project migrations, client ticket system exports, mass upload etc). There is no way to assign permission to that plugin explicitly, it must be done by a user with System administrator access.

Is there a way to modify the permission schema to grant access to that specific plug (or the plugins in general) without a user being a global system administrator?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

Hi Andy,

This is not possible because impot/export data is a global action, so makes sense that these action could be only made by a global administrator.

Lucas Lima

Andy Mellino February 21, 2013

And to clarify, there is no possible way to customize the permissions schema to allow this to be a JIRA Administrator accessible function, correct?

0 votes
Deleted user December 29, 2017

Lets raise this issue again because there are legitimate reasons for users to import into projects who are not system administrators. 

To me this a totally misplaced feature. I should be able to import into any project I have access too by permission.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2017

You can import into projects.

In a more limited way, true, because the system admin import is capable of breaking your system.

You're posting on a very old thread, and I think your information is out of date.

Like Ton van Rijn likes this
Deleted user January 25, 2018

I have been unable to permission users to import into projects - they have to be system admins. if that is out of date please point to a how to grant non system admins permission to import into a project.

At this time i want to figure out how to ask for a project level import permission to be permitted as it's very frustrating how limited import is.

suha akman March 21, 2018

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Could you explain the risk you foresee regarding giving the users system admin import functionality?

One thing that I could see from the documentation is "Importing a CSV to update existing issues will reset columns to their default values if they are not specified in the CSV" which may result in accidental deletion of fields current values.

Is the permission scheme active when system admin import functionality is used? I mean if the user is not in a role with create/update issue permission for a specific project, can he/she import/update issues in that project if they were given the ability to use system admin import functionality. For example with a plugin such as Secure Admin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.redmoon.jira.secure-admin/server/overview)

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2018

It gives them the ability to destroy your entire system.  Even if they only use import, they can then mess up mulitiple projects, fields and all your issue data.

NEVER give your users admin, you should have between 3 and 10 admins max, all of whom need to be experienced and/or trained Jira admins.

suha akman March 21, 2018

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thanks for the quick response.

So the permission scheme is NOT active? and system admin import of JIRA Importers plugin does not check if you are in the appropriate project roles or not?

Because if the permission scheme was active and user cannot mess up any other project other than he/she already have the permission to mess up (single issue at a time), then the only disadvantage is giving them the ability to mess up issues in bulk :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2018

The importer is available only to administrators, and it lets you import whatever you need, whereever you need it.  That's why it is admin only - potential to trash all sorts of things.

Permission schemes only apply to projects.

0 votes
Bala Vuppturi June 3, 2015

can we a change the system admin ID to a new person...basically our system admin is leaving the org and a new person is being assigned... this is for onDemand

Suggest an answer