JIRA System Administrator Global Permissions missing?

Jason Hudson July 19, 2017

Today, I'm attempting to make changes to our LDAP connector.  When going to the User Management area, the LDAP connector option is missing.  Digging into it, I find that it requires JIRA System Admin priviledges, which I have as delegated from the "Global Permissions" section to "jira-administrators".  No one in "jira-administrators" has the JIRA System Admin priviledges (at my company).  I have double checked that jira-administrators is assigned JIRA System Admin priviledges.

We did just update to JIRA Software 7.4.1.  Would this be a problem caused by this?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2017

I don't think the upgrade would cause this.   However there should be at least one user in your organization that has the system-administrator rights.  Otherwise no one will have the ability to make system wide changes like that to a user directory.

I would be interested to see if you can run the following SQL query against your JIRA database to see which groups have been granted this system level admin access.

select group_id from globalpermissionentry where PERMISSION='SYSTEM_ADMIN';

This will return all the groups that have system-admin access.  You can then run this next query to find the specific users that have this access, but you will need to change the group name in this query to match one of the groups returned from the first query:

select child_name, directory_id from cwd_membership where parent_name='groupnamefromfirstquery';

That should tell you which users have this permission.

By default JIRA includes both the system-admin and the jira-admin roles into the 'jira-administrators' group.  However you can seperate these admin roles in order to separate which users/groups should have this system-admin access.  

If you find that you do not have any users with that access level, then you would need to follow the steps in Retriving the JIRA Administrator account

Jason Hudson July 20, 2017

Actually, the system admin rights are assigned to jira-administrators; so we have about 9 people that have system admin rights.  No one had broken these out, this problem started with the most recent upgrade to 7.4.1.  Before that, this wasn't an issue.  We also noticed that email formatting is screwed up on issues that are emailed out - that started after the upgrade as well.  But, that's another issue that we have submitted a ticket for.  I guess I'll be putting forth a ticket for this as well.

Suggest an answer