JIRA System Administer Permission, Issue Privacy

Marc Dworkin September 24, 2013

Hi,

According to http://bit.ly/18YZxyT, the JIRA (System) Administrator Permissions do not include JIRA Users Permission.

I would like to confirm that this means that JIRA Administrators do not have super-user access to see issues for which they aren't otherwise entitled (via project roles/permission schemes)? If so, would that also true of JIRA System Administrators?

And if this is the case, is there anything to stop them from changing the permission schemes to grant themselves access to issues that aren't entitled to see?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2013

Hi Marc,

Yes, this is right, if you configure your permission schemes properly, you can restrict the administrators from seeing some projects and issues if you like. However, it's not possible to prevent them from adding themselves to these groups and seeing issues.

I'd recommend that you choose administrators that you trust and that won't do such actions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2013

I once worked on a system where, as a "guest" administrator, I had full access to the system side and absolutely no access to the project/issue data by default. It was a blissfully quiet time :-)

Of course, I could put myself in groups, or modify permission schemes to give myself access, but as Pedro says, at some point, you *have* to trust your administrators.

Suggest an answer