JIRA Subversion plugin unable to load Subversion tab

Jayvijaysinh RAJ March 24, 2014

Hi

We have configured the JIRA Subversion plugin with 2 SVN repositories.

It was working find until few days back we started facing issues that Subversion tab is not rendered on the JIRA issue.

When we had a look at the JIRA logs we found the below errors.

2014-03-24 09:23:59,257 http-bio-17500-exec-10649 ERROR Test@user 563x699605x1 d1n1s0 10.140.7.246 /browse/NEXT-26 [jira.plugin.issuetabpanel.IssueTabPanelInvokerImpl] Exception thrown while trying to call getActions() for com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion:subversion-commits-tabpanel (Show Subversion commits related to an issue in an issue tab panel.)
com.atlassian.jira.InfrastructureException: org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: E160006: No such revision 290
svn: E175002: PROPFIND of '/svn-ags/next/!svn/vcc/default': 500 Internal Server Error (http://svn.paas.intraxa)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion.SubversionManagerImpl.getLogEntry(SubversionManagerImpl.java:177)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion.revisions.RevisionIndexer.getLogEntriesByRepository(RevisionIndexer.java:525)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion.issuetabpanels.changes.SubversionRevisionsTabPanel.getActions(SubversionRevisionsTabPanel.java:69)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.issuetabpanel.IssueTabPanel3Adaptor.getActions(IssueTabPanel3Adaptor.java:45)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugin.issuetabpanel.IssueTabPanelInvokerImpl.invokeGetActions(IssueTabPanelInvokerImpl.java:81) <+2> (DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.hostcomponents.impl.DefaultComponentRegistrar$ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(DefaultComponentRegistrar.java:129)

When we had a look at SVN revisions, the latest revision was 248, so there were no revision exist with 290.

Now we think revision 290 might have been deleted so we are not able to locate it in SVN, so how to prevent such cases? Now how to solve this problem of Subversion tab fails to render.

Shall we uninstall Subversion plugin and install again to refresh the cache? Will this solve our problem?

How to deal with such issues in future?

regards,

Jay

2 answers

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/display/SVN/Subversion+JIRA+plugin;jsessionid=C1A4FF07DD570DBD71A9300D85D151EE

Read the Upgrade Instructions paragraph and then read step 5 for the uninstall instructions.

1. Stop Jira
    • Make sure Jira is really stopped. If you are running windows and using a service, make sure the service is actually stopped. The command line script generally completes but Jira is still shutting down.
  2. Do Step 5 (remove the index directory)
  3. Start Jira
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

Sure does JIRA need to be re-started?

The latest versions of the Atlassian's plugin support the V2 plugin model, it means disabling the plugin should fully unload it from memory and therefore the Lucene index files would be unlocked and then they could be deleted without any problem.

I guess these instructions are a bit old and they refers to the older versions (V1 plugin model), when plugins could not be undloaded from memmory and stopping JIRA was the only way to unlock resources.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

I had issues with indexing not restarting with enable and disable. We also do not know which version of the Atlassian plugin this person is using.

Jayvijaysinh RAJ March 25, 2014

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your interesting replys.

Here are the details of my environment.

JIRA version : 6.0

Subversion Plugin version: 0.10.13

Running on Linux Redhat 6 with Tomcat 7

The Universal Plugin Manager (v2.10.1) by Atlassian

Now could you please confirm that I do not need JIRA restart.

regards,

Jay

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

My guess is re-starting is not required, but...

What benefits are you getting from the Atlassian's plugin now? I would say there is not a great difference among disabling it or left it running with erros avoiding users to see commits from JIRA issues. I mean, the Atlassian plugin is almost useless for you now, so what could it go even wrong?

You may try by disabling it and deleting the index files because in the worst possible case you could left disabled the plugin until you can restart JIRA.

Benefits are greater than inconvenients.

---------------

On the other hand, well, as I'm the author of the Subversion ALM maybe I'm not being objective, I would say you can install ALM and disable the Atlassian plugin until you can re-start JIRA.

By using ALM your users would see the same issue and project commits views (without not too much impact) until you re-start JIRA and then reverse the plugins (Atlassian enabled, ALM disabled).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2014

Like Norman, I have had problems with re-indexing without restarting.

For some systems, it's worked, but for many, disabling and re-enabling the plugin in the UPM did not (all the way up to Jira 6.1). Even uninstalling and re-installing it did NOT work for one system - a restart was absolutely required. I never got to the bottom of exactly why.

Jayvijaysinh RAJ March 25, 2014

To Kinto Soft,

Yeah will try as you have suggested, lets see if re-indexing works without restarting.

Restart is a problem because many projects are sharing this JIRA instance across different timezones. Also cannot leave plugin in disable mode, may be worst case will plan for JIRA restart painfulway.

anyway will try and see if it resolves without restart. Thanks.

Cheers,

Jay

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2014

I know I cannot tell when it will work or not. I just know my experience and I had issues that could only be corrected by restarting Jira.

The worst part is sometimes the re-indexing stops and you need to restart the index. You do not need to delete the directory, but you might need to restart the plugin or Jira. At least with Subversion ALM, you can just reactivate the repository.

I needed to restarted the process 14 times, before the re-indexing was completed.

This issue really should be resolved by the subversion plugin maintainers.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2014

You will need to re-index the subversion plugin. There are directions on how to re-index in the documentation.

Jayvijaysinh RAJ March 24, 2014

Could you please send me the document link or any steps how to do it.

I tried searching it and it says need to delete the cache folder and restart JIRA

/indexes/plugins/atlassian-subversion-revisions

But is there any better way? I cannot afford to restart JIRA at the moment.

Suggest an answer