JIRA Structure- why are my stories not rolling up under the Epics they are linked to?

Gay Miller August 30, 2016

I have created a new structure and have stories, tasks, etc linked to Epics, but they are not rolling up under the Epics in the structure.  What could be causing this?  We are using JIRA 7.1.8 and the newest version of Structure.  Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2016

Hi Gay,

When you say they're not rolling up, do you mean they're arranged in hierarchy but not aggregating values, or they're not forming the actual hierarchy?

If they're arranged in hierarchy but not aggregating, please contact support@almworks.com 

If they're not forming the actual hierachy, you most likely need to apply Automation.

There are quite a few ways to get your Agile hierarchy, here's one way:

1. Automation -> Insert -> Agile board -> Insert Epics
  2. Automation -> Extend -> Stories under Epics
  3. Automation -> Extend -> Sub-tasks 

Please let me know if that helps, and feel free to contact me on robert@almworks.com if you need any help or a demo.

Cheers,

Robert

Gay Miller August 31, 2016

Thanks Robert!  It's the latter, they are not forming the hierarchy.  I looked and there isn't an option (that I see) to turn on Automation.  The button after the x (remove)  says +Next Issue.  Is there something I need to change/add for Automation to be there?

Thanks!

Gay

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2016

Hi Gay! Sounds like you have an older version of Structure (2.x?) - could you have a look at our public demo and compare with your version?

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2016

In case you're using the older 2.x version and for whatever reason can't install 3.x, you can use Synchronization (predecessor of Automation) to get the Agile hierarchy. Otherwise I recommend upgrading to the latest 3.x version if you can - it's a different beast altogether.

Gay Miller September 6, 2016

Thanks Robert.  It looks like we don't have the latest version of Structure.  We're working to get that installed now.  Thanks!

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2016

Great! Please don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions, we'll be happy to help.

Suggest an answer