JIRA Stops working

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2013

HI All

I have a standalone version of JIRA.

Today morning I observed that the JIRA is not loading up. It is showing 404 Requested resource not available error.

What can be the cause?

I have checked there is nothing in the logs.

I have also tried doing the stop/start (JIRA as a service) and still the same.

I also observe that the Virtual machine (that hosts this JIRA) was restarted last night and thereafter the problem is appearing.

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2013

HI NIc....thanks for your comments. I have now resolved the issue, The problem was that we had two parallel jira installation on the same VM and when VM restarted it triggered both jira installations to start up. When i shut down the unwanted jira installation then the required jira loaded up.

Rahul

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2013

Hmm. From that, I'd say your virtual machine is not configured to automatically restart Jira when it's rebooted.

You can check that by comparing the Jira log with the reboot time, although it may be that the Jira log has no entries for a while before reboot, if Jira was not being used at the time.

Check the OS settings for restart and get back to us if you're stuck

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2013

Hi NIc

From the logs I can see that after the reboot jira started automatically (all the startup logs are fine) and finally i get the message JIRA scheduler started.

I have also manually restarted the instance(stop start) but its the same.

I still cannot access the system not even via http://localhost from the VM itself.

I am getting this message.

HTTP Status 404 - /

type Status report

message /

description The requested resource (/) is not available.

Apache Tomcat/5.5.26

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2013

Ok, that's a useful thing to know. Without seeing the logs, it sounds like it's starting and running ok, but that it's not running where you expect it to. I've done this a few times myself - reconfigured Tomcat to present Jira somewhere else and completely forgotten to restart it to pick up the changes.

It's quite likely that it's running on something like http://localhost/jira or something, instead of being at the root of the server. It might also be blocked by something, so although it's running, you can't reach it.

Your Tomcat logs should show you more - look for catalina.out

0 votes
V June 23, 2013

Hi Rahul,

Before starting jira, check for ".jira-home.lock" in Jira home directory, delete if exists and start Jira. It's just a try as we are not sure about the issue.

Venkat

Suggest an answer