JIRA-Stash install and licensing on closed networks

Alex Martinez June 26, 2015

Hello,

I am looking to setup a JIRA and Stash on several closed networks which the same 25 people use/switch between.

1) Does JIRA and Stash have an "offline" or closed network installer (no internet or other network connection)?

2) Is that the same purchase/install as the one price download listed on each of their sites or is there a enterprise/hosted version?

3) Can I purchase the one license for JIRA (or one for Stash) and have that install work on different closed networks? Meaning one purchased license works on 2-3 different closed networks?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2015
  1. Yes.  In fact, the only installers available are "offline".  They do offer to go online to fetch licences etc, but you can just do that bit manually (copy from website, paste into the internal webpage)
  2. I don;t quite understand that one.  You download server version, you buy licences for the number of users you need.  That's it.  A number of people, including Atlassian, offer "hosted" versions, but they all live on the internet.  (There's also data-centre, but that's not really "enterprise" in the sense I think you mean it, it's for "huge installs")
  3. No.  A production licence is for a single server.  If you have 2 installations of JIRA and 3 Stash, you need a total of five separate licences (Data centre also changes that, but you are looking at thousands of users as a starting point...)

Nic, Thanks for the quick response! 1) Soved - thank you 2) Solved (maybe) - I think you answered it in #1 I just wanted to make sure there is only one verison of JIRA and one version of Stash to purchase/install that will allow me to install on a/multiple offline network 3) My team has 3 different development networks they must use. Each network will need to have the same backlog and task tracking used in JIRA - Stash. I don't mind manually updating these someway/somehow but I am hoping to keep licensing cost down for my small (25) person team without having to buy 3 licenses for each software (3 copies * 2 software * $1,800 = too much). Is there a way to get a "unlocked" multiple server-same team version? Crossing fingers, Alex

^^ note these 3 development networks will be offline/closed networks. I'm not sure if Atlassian verifies its unique software install via internet which these networks will not have. Do you still think that this will not work?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2015

It's not a case of it not working, it's illegal. You must have one licence for each server you run. You've said you've got 5 servers all in use by up to 25 people, so you need 5 25-user licences

Alex Martinez June 29, 2015

I was reading through the Customer Agreement and I found this (below) section 6.2. The last sentence is what I was looking for. The multiple instances are not production networks they are "staging and QA" based. I will contact licensing department for clarification and order details. Thank you! 6.2 Number of Instances. Unless otherwise specified in your Order, for each Software license that you purchase, you may install one production instance of the Software on systems owned or operated by you (or your third party service providers so long as you remain responsible for their compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement). We also make available “developer” licenses free of charge for certain of our Software offerings to allow you to deploy non-production instances, such as for staging or QA purposes. Details for how to request non-production licenses are available on our website.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2015

Ah, ok, so you've got one Stash and one JIRA in actual use, and the other three systems are for testing JIRA/Stash plugins, rollbacks, upgrades and so-on? They're to support the Production Stash and JIRA, not actually actively track issues or code. I ask because people sometimes misunderstand the definition of "production". If you've got a JIRA server that you are using to track your testing processes, then that is a Production server.

Suggest an answer