JIRA Startup Failed

jonghun.yoo February 27, 2013

A error occurred when trying to install JIRA 5.2.7 (TAR.GZ Archive) on ubuntu 12.04.

JIRA Startup Failed

You cannot access JIRA at present. Look at the table below to identify the reasons

Description
Configured jira.home '/usr/local/atlassian-jira-5.2.7' must not be a parent directory of the webapp servlet path '/usr/local/atlassian-jira-5.2.7/atlassian-jira'

I've spent a long time to solve this error, but I've done nothing.

how can I solve it?

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2013

This is actually quite simple and it's telling you what you've got wrong.

Jira needs two directories (although you can use more if you need to) - one for the application and one for it's data. You must NOT put one of them inside the other. What you've done is name a data directory and then put the application inside it. That's a bad idea in general, even if Jira would let you do it.

It's probably going to be quicker to delete this install (Assuming you have no data?) and start again. When it asks you where to install Jira, put in something like /usr/local/jira-5.2.7 and then when it asks you about where to locate "Jira Home", use /var/jira, /opt/jiradata, /home/jira/thehomedata, etc. Anything that clearly identifies it as Jira data and is NOT in the same place as the application.

I refered to the JIRA 5.2.7 README document in which the contents are shown below :

Brief Install Guide

1. Install Oracle's (formerly Sun's) Java Development Kit (JDK) or Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.6 or above from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.
  2. Set the JAVA_HOME variable to where you installed Java. The Windows and Linux installers will do this for you. See our Installing Java instructions for details.
  3. Set your JIRA Home Directory. Refer to Setting your JIRA Home Directory for details.
  4. Run 'bin\start-jira.bat' (for Windows) or 'bin/start-jira.sh' (for Linux/Solaris). Check that there are no errors on the console. See below for troubleshooting advice.
  5. Point your browser at http://localhost:8080. You should see JIRA's Setup Wizard.

A folder "atlassian-jira-5.2.7-standalone" is generated after decompressing the "atlassian-jira-5.2.7.tar.gz". The folder seems to includes the two directories you mentioned; one for the application and one for that's data.

atlassian-jira-5.2.7-standalone

└ atlassian-jira

└ bin

└ conf

└ ....

I set the JIRA HOME directory to the path of "atlassian-jira-5.2.7-standalone" using JIRA Configuration Tool. For your advice, how can I separate the data directory from the home directory?

Thanks for your comment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2013

> The folder seems to includes the two directories you mentioned; one for the application and one for that's data

No, it does NOT. There's no data directory in there.

>I set the JIRA HOME directory to the path of "atlassian-jira-5.2.7-standalone" using JIRA Configuration Tool

That's what you did wrong. You've pointed the data directory to the application directory.

Re-read the docs you pointed to - they tell you how to set the home directory - you should be able to simply edit the jira properties file and point jira.home to somewhere else. Anywhere outside the application directory will do.

jonghun.yoo February 28, 2013

I'm sorry to bother you. I solved the problem as shown in below

My directory setting

• atlassian-jira-5.2.7-standalone <- installed directory (which is decompressing directory of "atlassian-jira-5.2.7.tar.gz")
  • atlassian-jira-5.2.7-home <- home-directory set by JIRA configuration tool
  • atlassian-jira-5.2.7-standalone-data <- auctomatically generated directory after the JIRA's Setup Wizard process is complete

Thanks.

1 vote
Davet February 27, 2013

If you really appreciate the help then you should give more information about what you have actually done and the error messages you get instead of "still have the problem".

Did you follow the advice given above? The same advice was given in the original error messages - change your data folder. You do not say whether you have done this or what or where?

jonghun.yoo February 28, 2013

As writting the specific information in Nic Brough's comment, I didn't wrote down for your comment in detail.

Speaking as beginner of JIRA, you're comment was not different that "please refere to attlassian homepage".

0 votes
Chung Park Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2013

I still have the problem..

But I really appreciate your comment.

Suggest an answer