JIRA Startup Failed: plugins not started

Stefan Schablowski December 18, 2012

I have installed the latest version of JIRA on Debian 6.0.6 i386 and initially, it seemed to work ok. After a number of reboots, I get the error message

You cannot access JIRA at present. Look at the table below to identify the reasons

Description

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)

I would usually just check the logs for what went wrong, but Atlassian logs are so verbose that they give me a really hard time finding anything relevant. Some advanced grepping has revealed these lines though that seem related to the problem at hand:

2012-12-19 11:21:00,157 Timer-0 ERROR [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Unable to create application context for [com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard], unsatisfied dependencies: Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.spec.GadgetSpecFactory)] (from bean [&gadgetSpecFactory]), Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.view.GadgetViewFactory)] (from bean [&gadgetViewFactory]), Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.view.RenderedGadgetUriBuilder)] (from bean [&renderedGadgetUriBuilder]), Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.GadgetRequestContextFactory)] (from bean [&gadgetRequestContextFactory])

org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard' has timed out

at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.timeout(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:454)

at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.access$000(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:50)

at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor$WatchDogTask.run(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:105)

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

2012-12-19 11:21:00,169 Timer-0 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Never resolved service '&gadgetSpecFactory' for plugin 'com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard' with filter (objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.spec.GadgetSpecFactory)

2012-12-19 11:21:00,169 Timer-0 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Never resolved service '&gadgetViewFactory' for plugin 'com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard' with filter (objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.view.GadgetViewFactory)

2012-12-19 11:21:00,169 Timer-0 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Never resolved service '&renderedGadgetUriBuilder' for plugin 'com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard' with filter (objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.view.RenderedGadgetUriBuilder)

2012-12-19 11:21:00,170 Timer-0 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Never resolved service '&gadgetRequestContextFactory' for plugin 'com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard' with filter (objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.GadgetRequestContextFactory)

So if I understand this correctly, some java dependency is unsatisfied and some plugin can not be started.

That dependency must have been there before as JIRA did work. How can it just disappear ? I have certainly not touched anything.

Does anyone have some advice for me how to find the cause of this problem and solve it ?

Update:

I can get JIRA to work again by shutting it down, deleting some folder using

rm -r /opt/atlassian/jira/work/*

and restarting JIRA.

The problem is that this issue occurs *every single time* the server JIRA runs on is rebooted.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Schablowski January 14, 2013

The root cause of this problem seems to be that JIRA simply does not shut down cleanly whenever the server it runs on is shut down. Most users probably do not notice that as their JIRA machine simply is always on. For the moment, I simply delete the work folder manually before trying to start JIRA, in the longer run, I might hack the JIRA startup scripts to do this automatically.

Michael Brinson June 11, 2014

I have the same experience. Bummer.

I didn't have this problem in previous versions of Jira.

David O'Neill December 4, 2014

My test Jira server was bounced, started JIRA after reboot deleted the contents of home directory like Stefan indicated and worked so thanks for the post.

2 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2012

Please check with the following aspects w.r.t your JIRA installation -

1. Antivirus scanning JIRA directories (Home and installation directories) (Stop the anti-virus / firewall while JIRA is getting installed)
  2. Invalid Java version - 1.7 (install JDK 1.6)
  3. Timout during plugin installation (due to memory resources issue)
  4. Try deleting the .osgi-plugins, bundled-plugins directory located under <JIRA_HOME>/plugins/ in order to re-extract the plugins on jira startup.

If the problem still persists, follow the steps given here

Some more useful links -

Increasing JIRA plugin Timeout

Gadgets Plugin Not Available

Jira Locked

Hope it helps!

1 vote
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2012

Hi,

It seems that you might be hitting a known issue. Please check out and try the resolution steps mentioned here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+does+not+Start+Due+to+Disabled+Bundled+Plugin

Suggest an answer