JIRA Software issues

NT Educação January 29, 2016

We have a required field which is quite annoying to be filled each time an issue is created, but we need this field to control costs centers (hours) where each user (responsible party) is dedicating most of his efforts. Is there a plug-in where, once the creator of an issue selects which user is “responsible” for that issue, our “required field” (which identifies which cost center that user belongs to), could be hidden and calculated automatically from a
previously defined list?

On a similar note, we have another required field which identifies the cost center which will pay for that issue – generally the center requesting the task, which could be an Internal JIRA Project (in-house production for a
particular product), or an External JIRA Project (client production). The users that work on the projects complain that they have to fill out this and other required fields for all the sub-tasks of an issue they are working on. Is there a way that I could link all sub-tasks related to a particular issue automatically, without having to fill out the required fields over and over again?

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2016

Q: Is there a plug-in where, once the creator of an issue selects which user is “responsible” for that issue, our “required field” (which identifies which cost center that user belongs to), could be hidden and calculated automatically from a previously defined list?

I use the database customfield plugin for something similar.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.databasecf/server/overview

Here you can manage the users to Cost Center in another database, table or even LDAP.  Cost Center becomes a Child field and never have to be manually entered.  The only downfall I have found here is that you have to put this field on the edit screens (I set it to read only with scriptrunner) and/or put in a listener to update it if "responsible person" is altered.  Why a listener?  If someone updates "responsible person" using REST or some other mechanism other than the web interface it might not get updated.

If you have scirprunner installed, you can also create a scripted field for this... and still manage the user to cost center outside of Jira. 

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2016

Q: Is there a plug-in where, once the creator of an issue selects which user is “responsible” for that issue, our “required field” (which identifies which cost center that user belongs to), could be hidden and calculated automatically from a
previously defined list?

A: Without a plugin, you can use the "Cascading Select Custom Field" to pre-populate certain list fields that is dependent on another list field.

Q: Is there a way that I could link all sub-tasks related to a particular issue automatically, without having to fill out the required fields over and over again?

A: This depends on where you put the "restrictions on a custom field". If you make the field required in your Project's Field Configuration, you just have to use/create a different Filed Configuration for your sub-task. If you put the restriction in your project workflow (create event), just use a different scheme too.

Suggest an answer