JIRA Software is licensed but not currently installed after Upgrade

torsten_jh January 18, 2016

Hi Atlassian,
after Upgrade to Jira Software and successful Login i went to the administraion panel "Applications" ->
"JIRA Software is licensed but not currently installed." ??? I run the atlassian-jira-software-7.0.5-jira-7.0.5-x64.exe für win2012 enviroment.

But this message still repeat and all agile functions does not work..

In our Projects we have this message:
"This project was created as a Software project, but JIRA Software is not installed.
You can still access this project, but Software functionality will not be available."
What is wrong?

Our Server runs behind a firewall. So Atlassian Marketplace is not available for us. 

7 answers

2 votes
Colm McGrath November 24, 2016

Hi All,

As an Update to this, I've found this handy solution which seems to work where other plugins do not enable:

service JIRA stop

Login to the JIRA DB:

I'm using MySQL so this may not work with other DB's.

Run the follwing: 

UPDATE pluginstate SET pluginenabled='true';

service JIRA start

Thanks,

Colm

Siarhei Makarevich August 9, 2018
update pluginstate SET pluginenabled='true' where pluginkey='com.atlassian.jira.jira-software-application';

Saved my installation!  
Thank you!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Ignat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2016

Hi Everyone!

JIRA team has identified an issue with JIRA Software release 7.2.5 - we track the problem here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-15235

The JIRA Software Application that is shipped in the installer package does not have the needed assets for the application to work.

Issue description has a workaround that can be applied by a JIRA administrator.

Some other bits of information:

• JIRA Software 7.2.4 is not affected.
  • JIRA Software 7.2.6 is planned to be fixed, the exact release date is yet to be defined - but it's something that should happen soon.

Please watch the mentioned issue for the further updates.

warning  : JIRA 7.2.5 release has been cancelled because of the issue and is no longer available for download. Current installations of 7.2.5 are safe, if the mentioned workaround can be applied. For people, who has not upgraded yet - we recommend waiting for the 7.2.6 release, which we plan to ship asap.

If you have any issues with upgrading please raise a support request at https://support.atlassian.com

Hope this helps!

--
Cheers,
Ignat
JIRA Bugmaster. 

1 vote
Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2016

Identical issues after upgrading from 7.0.2 to 7.2.5. Even after entering Safe Mode with all add-ons disabled. I'll be passing this on to the Helpdesk and keep you folks updated

Vallery Lancey November 18, 2016

Experiencing this with a clean install.

Clyde Trent November 19, 2016

I had this same problem when upgrading from 7.1.9 to 7.2.5. This is what I did.

1. I went to the Add-ons page and entered safe mode.
  2. Re-ran the whole installation process again using https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/downloads/binary/atlassian-jira-software-7.2.5-x64.bin
  3. After JIRA started backup, I went to the Applications section (still in safe mode) and noticed I still had the same error. "JIRA Software is licensed but not currently installed".
  4. I click on the install button to install JIRA software and the Applications --> Versions & licenses page
  5. It installed successfully
  6. I went to the Add-ons and then exited safe mode.
  7. I believe it produced and error message that something went wrong. But then I started to enable some of the plugins that were not enabled manually. Everything went fine
  8. Restarted JIRA again to make sure that things started without any problems and they did.
Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

In my case the Install button was not there. Had to upload the JIRA Software .obr.

Ananias Gutierrez January 24, 2020

@Mark de Bont ,

thanks for your comment, lterally i have the same problem and with ur indications resolved my problem.

this is link for .obr

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213607/jira-software/version-history

0 votes
Francis Vittini July 16, 2019

We experienced the same issue by accident when we upgraded from Jira Software 7.3 to 7.13.  After we upgraded.  We stopped Jira to copy over our newer version of our plugins, for this we have a script that runs and copy them to the C:\[JIRA_HOME]\plugins\installed-plugins but this script first had an instruction to clean up that folder, so as Jira software is basically Jira Core + the Jira Software related plugins like (bamboo plugin, dev integration, dvcs connector, fisheye plugin, greenhoper, Jira software app, jira software plugin and jira-transition-trigger-plugin) those additional plugins are also copied by Jira during installation to the C:\[JIRA_HOME]\plugins\installed-plugins folder, therefore our script removed those plugins and when we restarted Jira, all the Jira software features were gone.

I fixed this by just stopping Jira and then manually copying all the .jar files located on C:\[JIRA_INSTALLATION_FLDR]\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\application-installation\jira-software-application folder to the C:\[JIRA_HOME]\plugins\installed-plugins folder and then started Jira service again.

Regards,

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2017

This might happen when you start up JIRA with "./start-jira.sh --disable-all-addons" then it disables all add-ons including JIRA Agile. Since JIRA Agile is included in JIRA Software and you does not get option to enable it from User installed plugins and it remains disabled. So you need to eather enable Agile manually or restart jira again without --disable-all-addons.

0 votes
torsten_jh January 19, 2016

Today i give it a new try from a clean copy. 

I made a complete clean copy of our production jira to the dev system. 
Jira up und running. Check all plugins, all working fine. 
Then restart the installer for 7.05. Result: Installer says everything ok. sucessfull upgrade. 
Log in jira: ok, and the "Boards" Listtype appears. A Click on a Board Item = a Project -> then the Boardpages rendering with the exception below:

Error:
com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/atlassian/jira/JiraDataType

Update: the jenkins-plugin was the "culprit"

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/31676856

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2016

Go to admin -> manage applications and you'll be able to add it in there.

Hi Nic, thnx for your quick respeonse. But unlikely that's exactly the "nonworking" issue. There is only the download button

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2016

Ah, I posted before you'd written a question - there was only a subject before.

However, if you're running that .exe file, then you must have deliberately removed the application from your installation.  To put it back, have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/installing-additional-applications-and-version-updates-765593207.html

That's my only offer from the download:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/update 

That's exact the same file i use for the upgrade from 6.4 to 7.0.5. 

Do i have to install the atlassian-jira-core...exe before the atlassian-jira-software-7.0.5-jira-7.0.5-x64...exe? /o\

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2016

No, I think you've got a bit confused (you're not the first)

Under JIRA 6 and below, you had JIRA with add-ons.  One add-on was "Agile". 

Under JIRA 7, the Agile add-on goes away and is replaced by JIRA Software.  You can install (and upgrade to) JIRA Software in two ways - install JIRA Core and then add the Software application, or, the much easier way - just use the JIRA Software installer (forget Core completely)

Hi Nic, me again. 

ok, then i choose the right installer yesterday: only the JIRA Software. 

But Problem still exist. No way to run any Applications in JIRA Software. Byetheway: capture as plugin works. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2016

Ok, so how did you remove it?

remove? sorry for my unclear answer. 

Once again: I Upgrade from 6.4.12 to 7.05 using the atlassian-jira-software-7.0.5-jira-7.0.5-x64. Install ended with success. I logged in, go to page Administarion/Appliations/ -> "JIRA Software is licensed but not currently installed." and the download Button appeared . Click on Button: downloads the software file EXACTLY i use in the upgrade. 

That's the state. All Projekt using JIRA Agile before the upgrade place a error 

Software functionality is not available

This project was created as a Software project, but JIRA Software is not installed.

You can still access this project, but Software functionality will not be available.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2016

If you used the JIRA Software installer to install JIRA, then JIRA Software is installed.  So you must be removing it somehow.

nope. i did not. sorry. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2016

Erm, then you didn't use the Software installer.  If you got a success from the Software installer, then Software is installed.

Anyway, however it's gone missing, you can still add it back, even when you can't connect to the marketplace directly.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/installing-additional-applications-and-version-updates-765593207.html on how to download it to your client machine and then install it in the server

Colm McGrath January 19, 2016

Hi,

I had a similar problem where I upgraded from 6.4.7. to 7.0.0. 

Ran the Software installer and Software was not available to use.

I found some of the required .jar files were missing in the installed plugins folder.

Atlassian told me to:

It seems like your JIRA Software add on is encountering issue with loading. Please try the following:

1. Remove jira-software-plugin-1.29-D20150910T044746.jar from the directory that you have currently install it.
  2. Download JIRA Software from here
  3. Install the add on following this method
  4. Restart your JIRA and please check Versions and Licensing page and theManage add-on page to see whether the plugin is loaded. This will not affect your data.
torsten_jh January 20, 2016

Hi Colm, thnx for your hint. i found a problem with the old jenkins plugin today. After deinstall i have been able to fix all problems. 

Suggest an answer