JIRA Software and JIRA Datacenter

Joanne August 16, 2016

I am using JIRA 6.3 and planing to migrate to JIRA software 7.0.10 and JIRA datacenter.  Is JIRA datacenter the same as JIRA software for all my test environments so I would just install JIRA Software 7.0.10 and then for production just install datacenter?  Then how does licensing work - will my TEST JIRA Software 7.0.10 just use a developers license of the datacenter license? It's getting confusing I know but can't seem to get a clear picture from the documentation.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2016

I think you've got it right actually. Upgrade to JIRA Software 7.0.10, then get production on to data-centre, and build test systems as required.

Your test environments don't need to be data-centre unless you're specifically testing the data-centre capabilities - JIRA Software is functionally the same on the surface whether it's data-centre or standalone.  A data-centre licence simply allows the extra functionality to work, so installing a dev licence for it on a standalone test system could be thought of as enabling a "cluster of one node"

Joanne August 17, 2016

I have a new instance to setup also so can I just install with an evaluation JIRA Software license into TEST and then just change license to JIRA DC developers license once purchased?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2016

Yes, you can, the licences are easy to swap around

Joanne August 17, 2016

Great - final question and I am actually looking at the Installing JIRA Data Center documentation and it reads like there is no specific DC install - you install JIRA Software version 7 or above and then you do the steps to setup your nodes etc?  I think this is where all my confusion lay as it's not really a separate application but an add on to JIRA Software?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2016

My understanding is that it's not even an add-on.

All the core code for data-centre is buried and dormant within a standard JIRA installation.  It doesn't do anything until you apply a data-centre licence, and then it wakes up and starts accepting config for your nodes!

It's been a few months since I looked at a DC install, so I'm not 100% sure that is still the case, although it would surprise me if it has changed and I've not noticed!

Suggest an answer