JIRA Software Self-hosted licensing

Wei Chen April 12, 2017

Hi, if I have a team of 13 developers and would like to self-host Jira Software, does it meant I need to pay for USD 1800 (one-time payment)?

And does Jira Software works fine in Linux environment? What kind of database is recommended?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2017

Yes - https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing?tab=self-hosted says for 13 users, you'll need a licence at the 25 user tier, which is $1,800

JIRA works in any environment that runs Java, but most of us would actively recommend running it on an operating system that you know best.  Given a free choice without looking at what you're happiest with, absolutely yes, run it on Linux.  Most people do.

I'd always recommend using one of the four supported databases, and again, you should be led by "which database do you know best".  Given no preference, I would go with PostGres first, as that's what Atlassian use, code against and recommend.  MySQL and Oracle come in equal second place, and then MS-SQL in last place (although it has improved over the years, it used to cause so many problems, I still can't recommend it myself)

Wei Chen April 12, 2017

Thanks Nic.

We already used Bitbucket Cloud based solution, and if Jira is self-hosted, are these two still can work together? e.g. "JIRA Software automatically updates issues when code is committed in Bitbucket."

If we already paid USD 1800 for 25-user tier and if want to move on to 50 users tier, do we pay the different ($1500) or full amount ($ 3300)?

Suggest an answer