JIRA Service Desk - Link to Active Directory / LDAP Question

MAG-II April 10, 2018

Hello - 

My company recently implemented the trial version of JIRA Service Desk, after we have been using JIRA Core for some time. I have a question about linking our company's active directory with JIRA Service Desk.

As of now all of our company users are automatically on JIRA Service Desk / JIRA Core. However, within our company we have all of our users allocated into different company groups.

Is it possible to have all of our users, who have been placed into their designated company groups, carry over to JIRA with their groups? Also at the same time, since we have been on JIRA, I have made many groups within JIRA that are used throughout different JIRA projects. I want to make sure I don't lose those JIRA groups. 

The idea is that now that we have JIRA Service Desk we can associate our internal company groups with different Organizations within a Service Desk Project.

The attached screenshot is what I am currently looking at. My fear is that if I check the box for "Enable Nested Groups" that all of the groups that I specifically made within JIRA will go away. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Active Directory.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2018

Hi Michael,

Nested Groups are a different notion acutally: it's a way to have "groups within groups". Nested groups allows you to have users as members of groups in addition to other groups (which is a way to have subset of users). A "sys admins" groups embedded in an "IT" group for instance.

That being said, when setuping your Active Directory integration you can choose wether to import your groups from AD or not, if so, they will be replicated in Jira (without changing anything in Jira's groups). You can even choose to send Jira's groups to AD if you have permission to write in AD (please be careful with that :) ).

As per the Organization thing, I don't think you can automatically map groups to Orgs, but if you're willing to have a few manual steps, that should work!

You should also have a look at the official documentation here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver076/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-945111001.html

This is helpful sometimes :) I would also recommend to get help from an AD admin to define how properties are synced 9i.e. user attributes mapping).

Hope this helps and answers your questions!

Cheers

MAG-II April 10, 2018

Hi Micky - 

Thanks for the response, and for the Nested Groups clarification. That all makes sense. The info you gave me leads me to a new question though.

When I have successfully added my Active Directory to JIRA, with all of the users/groups included, is it possible to add groups to Organizations in my JIRA Service Desk project? I ask because the groups we have established have many users within in them. It would be very tedious adding users to an Organization one by one.

Is the idea of adding groups to a project's Organization possible?

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2018

Hi again,

Unfortunately, at the moment it seems like Organizations are managed by users (no notion of group here). Anyway, importing would result in out-of-sync Organizations vs AD after AD changes. It's quite a complex sync you want there which is not bundled at the moment.

Sorry if it's not the answer you'd love to hear :(

MAG-II April 11, 2018

Good Morning Micky - 

Thanks for following up. It's unfortunate to learn that groups cannot be added to Organizations. I appreciate all of your help! 

(also, very cool FFVII avatar)

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2018

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of Aerith and FF VII!

I can see you have good taste as well with Zelda :)

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with! And you could also support your idea on Atlassian's Jira with a new feature request. It won't guarantee an implementation but would at least keep trace of your need for the dev team!

Best,

Micky

Suggest an answer