JIRA Server upgrdation

siva prasad December 31, 2020

Currently we have JIRA 3.13 server, so we are planning to export that server data and planning to import to new version, can anyone suggest the process.

Advance thanks for support

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2020

When you say "export and import", there are two things you might mean.

• Take an export to excel of some of your issues and use the CSV importer in a later version of Jira to get the issues into a newer Jira install.
  • To take a full xml export of the system and import it into a new empty installation of Jira, one of a newer version. 

Both of these have significant problems for upgrading. 

• The CSV export/import is significantly incomplete.  You'll only be able to do 1,000 issues at a time, you will lose a lot of the history, some plugins/apps will lose data, and most important, it is issues only.  No configuration data is transferred, you are going to have to manually configure all the projects, and your users will have to rebuild all their filters, dashboards, boards and plugin configuration from scratch.
  • XML export and import only has a limited range.  With Jira 1-3 it was the supported and recommended way to upgrade, but from 4 onwards, it began to become unsupported and Atlassian eventually stopped putting much effort into maintaining the code for it.  One consequence of this is that the version compatibility range becomes narrower with time.  If you're going to use this method, then you are going to need to move from 3.13 -> 4.1 -> 4.4 -> 5.0 -> 5.2 -> 6.0 -> 6.1 -> 6.2 -> 6.4 -> 7.0 and I have no idea what version is next as no-one in their right mind does it this way since 6.0

I very strongly recommend that you do NOT do any upgrade this way.  Please follow the advice given the last time you asked about upgrades over at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/what-is-the-best-process-to-migration-from-3-13-version-to/qaq-p/1515645

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

I have done this once in my past

The workable solution was to go through the intermediate version upgrades as @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- has suggested.

The good news is that you don't have to go through every intermediate version but it's a while since I worked out which ones you need. 3->4 is a significant step. I think 6 was the next one.

We did the migration on an intermediate server set up with instances of the required versions and exported from one to another until we got to the latest. Then exported that back into  new production server. Enables you to keep prod intact until you are happy with the outcome/

0 votes
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 31, 2020

@siva prasad 

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ZFJ0500/pages/1061421425/Import+Tests

For the time being only the test cases and steps can be exported and imported to another instance.

0 votes
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 31, 2020

@siva prasad ,

That's a very old version you are using. I would suggest you to rather explore migration to cloud so that the upgrade will not be a problem anymore. 

You can always export and import the data as @Daniel Ebers  has already provided the links for. However for a long term smooth experience, exploring migration to cloud would be something worth a try!

-Bibek

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 31, 2020

A migration to Cloud would require upgrade from 3.1 to at least 7.6 unless you were happy to accept massive data loss by using CSV only.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2020

Hi @siva prasad

first you need to distinguish if an upgrade should take place like you asked the last time. Or if you are going for a export and then import data again (this is suitable if it is only a few data to be imported).

When exporting one option would be to export to CSV but this will not take configuration (as projects and workflows) along with it. When coming from a pretty old version (like 3) then all options other than that would not be working anyway so exporting from Issue Navigator could be a start.

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer